dec. 23rd

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
i'm not sure why , but in the spring when the come out from hibernating they are exceptionally bright ....... we'll see what February brings , but our winter has been freakishly warm .... it was 64 today , 63 yesterday , the 3rd thru 4rth week of january is historically the coldest part of our winter , the normal average temperature is 28 degrees , were like 30-40degrees too warm ........

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
i'm not sure why , but in the spring when the come out from hibernating they are exceptionally bright ....... we'll see what February brings , but our winter has been freakishly warm .... it was 64 today , 63 yesterday , the 3rd thru 4rth week of january is historically the coldest part of our winter , the normal average temperature is 28 degrees , were like 30-40degrees too warm ........

The weather updates are interesting. We are also experiencing a 'freakishly ' warm winter.
We get the occasional cold front, like today, that might get our nighttime lows down into the 50s for a night or two. But then we are right back into 80s a few days later.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
three 2016 hatchling wood turtles that have been brumating since October ............

DSCF2889.jpg

DSCF2882.jpg

DSCF2887.jpg

and an adult male I got from fla. last august ......... February 26 , 36 degree air temp , 56 degree water temp .......

DSCF2885.jpg

Last edited:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I've never left hatchlings out for the winter before , it was a learning experience for me , I'm guessing the light edges of the scutes is new growth over the winter ? I've never seen that , these guys have been underwater for 4-5 months ........

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I've never left hatchlings out for the winter before , it was a learning experience for me , I'm guessing the light edges of the scutes is new growth over the winter ? I've never seen that , these guys have been underwater for 4-5 months ........

My guess is that the new growth will darken up to normal color after the turtles start basking and receiving sunlight. It's probably light colored from them being in the dark, or relative dark for the winter.
But interestingly, it indicates that growth continued during the 'dormant' period.

Berkeley

Yep, that is exactly what it is. That shows that they had enough energy stores for continued growth while their bodies were 'resting'. A sign of a perfect brumation! Well done!

And as Carl said, it will darken up in the next few weeks as they become more surface active.

--Berkeley