DBT and Redear in and out of waterwater

Danny G

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Cali
Hello all,
I have a dbt about 5" and a redear about 4". They have lived together for about 2 years outside in a tub that holds 30 to 40 gallons. They are doing very well in there together.

I recently made a small enclosure within my RT's enclosure for the DBT and RE can roam and still have a small area of water to soak (22" water dish).

Is there any harm to taking them out of their tub and letting them roam witin their enclosure?

They seem very happy and even eat if i put food in the water dish.

If I'm home during the day they spend a couple hours in the enclosure, its safe.

20170310_110904_Burst01.jpg 20170310_110714.jpg

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Hey, if it works, it should be fine. Do they cross paths with the Russian? If they do, I figure that could be a problem. I have a Greek, and anything with a shell is deserving of attack as far as he's concerned. I've seen redears handle all manner of circumstances. I'm currently fostering one that had been kept out of water by it's owner for over ten years, with nothing but a small clay watering dish. It took her over three days for her to relearn how to swim, and she still hasn't gotten the hang of basking yet. I have to take her out of the water any morning when the sun is out to run about a small run I made using cinders, similar to the setup you have. This coming summer I'm going to get another couple large female red ears to cohabitate with her. Perhaps she will learn the merits of basking from them.

T.G.

Danny G

5 Year Member
Southern Cali
Hi
I make sure the redear and dbt dont come close to my rt. So far they seem fine with spending a few hours in the more "dry" enclosure.
Its very enjoyable watching them.