1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Dark Adonis

Discussion in 'Tortoise Breeding' started by Anyfoot, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Anyfoot

Anyfoot Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Carl, I'll slow it down a tad.
    I wanted to ask you about protein, at what stage do you start feeding animal protein, this little guy had none yet.
    Im not 100% sure but need to ask, I thought keratin growth was basically through protein, is that correct? I know there is protein in foliage too, so does what is happening to this tort prove I have an inbalance between fruit and foliage ratio?
    Moozillion likes this.
  2. Anyfoot

Media:
    Albums:
    Just wanted to add also I've fed quite a lot of flower heads too, primrose plants gone mad with blooming. Am I correct in saying flower heads lack protein, they will always favor flowers over the foliage. The only foliage I've fed are weeds,grape leaves and hibiscus leaves.
    This one below is about 14wks now and coming up to the 90g mark. Exact same enclosure,humid etc. But no flowers for its first 8wks or so, I think she looks good.
    Have I been inadvertently lacking in protein with the Adonis because they favor the flowers over weeds. So lack of protein has slowed down keratin growth but not bone growth. Or am I way off the mark with this thought.
    I know I'm being picky here, but need to be.
    IMG_20161023_095354.jpg
  3. cdmay

cdmay Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Don't panic.
    Flowers, mushrooms and young greens are great for little ones.
    As for protein, go easy.
    The idea that red foot tortoises 'need' protein from the get go is highly overblown.
    Also , I'm pretty sure that keratin comes from calcium, not protein.
    Could be wrong though.
    Moozillion and Anyfoot like this.
  4. cdmay

I AM WRONG!
    Keratin is a 'structural protein'.
    You were right Anyfoot.
    Anyfoot likes this.
  5. Anyfoot

Media:
    Albums:
    @cdmay. This little dark guy just seems to be growing wierd. It's a well hydrated tort and I don't feed it crap. It's active and eats but it's new growth just does not look right, it looks as if the keratin is not keeping up with growth, I know you mentioned maybe growing too fast. It's coming up to 11wks(74days) old now and weighs 38g(1.34oz). Hatched at 20g(0.71oz). Does that seem like fast growth to you?
    Not panicking here, just curious if you think this growth rate is too fast.

I've given it some protein today for the first time (1 piece of cat meat).
    Moozillion likes this.
  6. cdmay

Cat meat??? Really?
    Wow, I've never considered offering cat meat before. I'll have to look for it at the grocery store.
    Moozillion and Anyfoot like this.
  7. Anyfoot

Media:
    Albums:
    Ha, new you would comment on that. Dont worry I normally feed worms to my torts, but he was out feeding so I gave him a piece of cat meat for convenience, too dark to raid the wormery.
    I've noticed on this guy even his marginal scutes look to have wide crevices between scutes, which suggests fast growth too, I keep thinking maybe I fed too much fruit in the early days, but my other tort looks perfect with exact same diet agenda. So then I'm thinking is there just something not right with this tort, is that why it's so unnaturally dark. Time will tell.
    Moozillion likes this.