Dangerous Plants In Outdoor Enclosure

TortObsession

Location (City and/or State)
Somerville, Alabama
Is there any way to get rid of possibly toxic weeds in an outdoor enclosure, or do you basically just have to plow the entire thing and grow your own safe weeds?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It depends on your enclosure. I have plenty of potentially toxic plants in my large garden, but I don't bother removing them as Joe has so much good stuff to choose from he doesn't bother them and hasn't for the last 40+ years. If your enclosure is small and the choice limited then I would do some manual weeding. Chemical weedkillers take too long to clear and could pollute growth for a year or more.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A weed is a plant growing in the wrong place... so if it's making your yard look bad, or it looks like taking over, then haul it out. You want the good stuff to be in the majority after all :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salt water kills,but it could be awhile before things grow again, but the plant/weed will die. Weeds get a bad rap,more people would like them if they were called fluffy plants,or something like that.

TortObsession

Somerville, Alabama
I'll probably end up just trying to pull up the toxic ones and make sure I have plenty of safe ones because I don't want to kill off all the plantain and dandelion.