D3 to eggs

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Does the fact a Tortoise is laying eggs prove that they are getting enough D3 to absorb the calcium, or does calcium for the eggs come from what calcium is not absorbed?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It could. But the again it could also be utilizing the most amount of calcium the tortoise has to offer, and declining the benefits from elsewhere. It's merely not like a gas gauge in a car and it's used when developing eggs. Calcium levels will drop I'd imagine during the development of follicular ovulation. So it's always best to maintain a perfect balance and always offer it along with a good diet and sunlight. I'd imagine some studies have been done on this.

I'd be curious to see the differences of pathology panels and blood work compared to an outdoor kept animal(wild more than likely) versus an indoor kept animal on artificial uvb and prescribed calcium with D3. Its pretty much impossible to replicate the natural sun and wild flora for consumption.

For instance the soil in south Texas has a huge amount of calcium and phosphorus in it. So does the water from our well. Strikingly high amounts actually. So I wonder if I even need to supplement one would think? I do anyways. But it has struck a quandary to me. Garden grown greens and weeds will absorb these elements in the food fed along with the water. So really how much should we be giving our tortoises?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My hatchlings and juveniles have there own uvb lighting. My adults that have now been inside for about 2 months only have 1 UVB source over 1 feeding platform, this is a 300sq ft indoor area with 3 feeding platforms. I was worried they weren't getting enough D3 from the UVB, but 4 females have laid within the last couple of wks and another is looking gravid. I was kind of hoping this could put my mind at ease, BUT also I was wondering could there still be D3 in the system from a couple of months ago when they were outside every day. On top of that I feed chicks once every week, sometimes every fortnight, I assume preys D3 is past on to the predator.

As for higher calcium and other nutrients in the richest soils, I agree. A few years back I grew veggies, for 2 yrs I could not grow butternut squash even though I thought I had replenished nutrients back in the ground with manure and compost waste. Not to be beaten the 3rd year I mixed in a large bag of calcium, well that years crop was ridiculous, I had that many squashes I was giving them away. What happens to the calcium within the plant as it grows I haven't a clue, does the potency drop because the plant has absorbed a certain quantity of it.

Anyway thanks, I guess I could go another 4 months with 1 UVB source and see if they are still laying good eggs.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Can not answer except to say that a tortoise in a negative calcium: phosphorus ratio and poor UV exposure likely will not produce eggs. Reproduction is a secondary mechanism that would take place if the tortoise was thriving in captivity or in the wild. Calcium usually will be pulled from bone to create a hard egg shell. Some will add calcium supplement during laying season. If the tortoise is on a complete diet, not always necessary.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Calcium usually will be pulled from bone to create a hard egg shell.

Thank you.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding the above sentence correctly.
Do you mean they will extract calcium from within their body from their own bones to create eggshells or bones of prey.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
They will pull calcium from bone if needed. They normally convert calcium from Vit D 3>D7>D125
If they can not maintain Normal blood Calcium, they will leech calcium from bone. They obviously need calcium to create hard egg shell. There can be a big demand if they lay large clutches of eggs throughout the breeding season.