cuttlebones alternatives

Big Ol Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
pflugerville Tx
So I've tried cuttlebones many times and Mrs.Turtle could care less for it. It's hurts me so much when I take her the vet and they do it. So please any suggestions would help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quite often a cuttlebone is ignored until it's been 'weathered' and has sat in the enclosure for quite a while. I don't worry about that. I just leave one in there. Two times a week I sprinkle a pinch of calcium powder over the food then mix it up so it can't be seen or smelled.

51vCIEsVPRL._SY300_.jpg

(Really, any brand will do)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I think if your tort is not eating the cuttlebone then it's not in need of calcium, there is enough calcium in the right foods to suffice it's needs, when I see my adult torts gorging on cuttlebone it's usually a sign they are ready to lay eggs.
My hatchlings will chow down on it from time to time, I've never seen them do this but there is obvious beak marks in the cuttlebone. In short, if they need it they will eat it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are you saying that the vet gives your tortoise calcium injections or something? What are you talking about with the vet? Ground eggshells, calcium powder, or just scraping a little bit of the cuttlebone over the food a couple times a week works. If you put too much on they won't eat it though. I have personally never ever seen my adult Russian chew on her cuttlebone. But I leave one in there for her anyway. The hatchling has tried it a couple times but otherwise ignores it.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Are you saying that the vet gives your tortoise calcium injections or something? What are you talking about with the vet? Ground eggshells, calcium powder, or just scraping a little bit of the cuttlebone over the food a couple times a week works. If you put too much on they won't eat it though. I have personally never ever seen my adult Russian chew on her cuttlebone. But I leave one in there for her anyway. The hatchling has tried it a couple times but otherwise ignores it.
I was asking about alternatives to trim her beak. When they clip her nails and beak she doesn't like it.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
You could try a calcium block for birds. They have flavoring added so they might like it better.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You could try a calcium block for birds. They have flavoring added so they might like it better.
I don't like the idea of "added flavor" in food I give my tort. We have enough problems weaning them off sweet foods as it is.

Leigti's idea is good for beak and claw maintenance. And then a tiny pinch of calcium powder on food 3 times a week for calcium

An older tortoise that gets outside maintains its beak grazing on plants. It's a mistake to cut foods up too small. Leave them big so the tort has to tear at them and that helps the beak too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was asking about alternatives to trim her beak. When they clip her nails and beak she doesn't like it.
I have cement pads scattered throughout my enclosure. they work well on the nails and feeding the tortoises off of a flat cement pad also helps with the beaks.
I'm pretty sure that cuttlebone wont do much of that.
My tortoises also ignore them for long periods. I end up throwing 70% of them away once they are soiled/contaminated by poop.
But every so often, they just start chomping on them.

Oogway the russian tort

You can make your own dig Calcium by getting emptu egg shells and boiling them in water for 5-10 mins and then put it in a toaster oven at 300degrees for 10mins then blend in a blender it does have a weird smell but its a good alternative

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I found a great way to feed cuttlebone when it is gratered. I roll a few fresh killed pinkie mice in it like rolling meat in a batter, and serve it.
They totally devour that offering!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I found a great way to feed cuttlebone when it is gratered. I roll a few fresh killed pinkie mice in it like rolling meat in a batter, and serve it.
They totally devour that offering!
Tammy, I think you just grossed out everyone! Keep it a bit more palatable, please!