Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
@Yvonne G
@Iochroma

I'm in an area today that has tons of the stuff and no pesticides or chemicals of any kind. I searched and found this: http://www.garden.org/weedlibrary/?q=show&id=2380
This website yes the young leaves are edible, but taste bitter in warmer weather.

I always thought dock was toxic. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
The common weed "dock" is edible, but not very palatable. I am pretty sure it also has a high oxalates content. Young leaves would be better on both aspects.
I grow an ornamental/edible form called Rumex sanguineus that is somewhat better tasting. Tortoises like it, but I use it sparingly out of concern about the oxalates.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The common weed "dock" is edible, but not very palatable. I am pretty sure it also has a high oxalates content. Young leaves would be better on both aspects.
I grow an ornamental/edible form called Rumex sanguineus that is somewhat better tasting. Tortoises like it, but I use it sparingly out of concern about the oxalates.

Thank you. I will skip it in favor of other stuff. There is also a lot of narrow leaf plantain and mallow here to fill my bucket with. Young thistle too. A little filaree, hawks bit, and even some early-for-the season wild mustard.

And of course all of that will be mixed with freshly sprouting wild grass. Mmmmm.....