Cozmo acting strange

Cozmo

Hello, I recently bought my Hermann tortoise Cozmo from the reptile exhibit in September, things have been going pretty well but I fear he is becoming lethargic. Everytime I check on him he is in the corner under his basking light (at 97 degrees). I feed him daily and most days I bathe him, I know that I should be bathing him daily but a couple days I don't have the time so I give him a really quick wash in his water bowl, cleaning the bowl after. Everytime I put food out he eats most if not all of it. About a week ago he had similar behaviours, but after spraying the enclosure more, he became very active for two days, and now he's showing the same signs as last time. Could this just be because it's getting colder? His temperatures haven't changed and still remain around 70 degrees at night.

Cozmo

What is his diet like?
I've been feeding him spring mix, with the occasional weeds from outside, all are washed before given to him. I try to give him a bit of fruit once a week but he doesn't seem to eat it, only the lettuce and weeds

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
First of all bathing every day is not necessary if you're providing fresh water at all times. How old/big is he? What type of substrate are you using and how deep is it? It sounds to me like he's too dry in the enclosure. Hermann's need humidity. Your temperatures are fine especially since this species really requires a nighttime cool down. I like to get all of ours down to the mid to high 60s at night of all ages. Sometimes in the peak of summer this is impossible but that's ok. The biggest problems with tortoise keeping are the exact opposite of what is commonly stated in outdated literature. Many say they need to be hot and dry. These statements couldn't be any further from the truth. Hermann's cannot handle excessive heat or dryness if they cannot escape from it.

Cozmo

First of all bathing every day is not necessary if you're providing fresh water at all times. How old/big is he? What type of substrate are you using and how deep is it? It sounds to me like he's too dry in the enclosure. Hermann's need humidity. Your temperatures are fine especially since this species really requires a nighttime cool down. I like to get all of ours down to the mid to high 60s at night of all ages. Sometimes in the peak of summer this is impossible but that's ok. The biggest problems with tortoise keeping are the exact opposite of what is commonly stated in outdated literature. Many say they need to be hot and dry. These statements couldn't be any further from the truth. Hermann's cannot handle excessive heat or dryness if they cannot escape from it.
He is around 2 months old, I'm also using zoo meds repti bark, around 2 inches deep.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Ok yeah your substrate is off and so is the depth. Please read my care sheet that is pinned to the top of this page and visit my Hermann's site for some more info: hermannihaven.com

Hermann's, especially when young need to be able to burrow into a deep and moist substrate. You can do what I suggest in the care sheet or you can also try another mix we have had excellent results with and that's Nature's Care organic potting mix with shredded hardwood mulch.

Coconut coir is another popular choice but be careful to not use alone because recent reports show babies dying with a build up of it in their nasal cavities and passages.

Whatever you choose, it must not be allowed to completely dry out.

Cozmo

Ok yeah your substrate is off and so is the depth. Please read my care sheet that is pinned to the top of this page and visit my Hermann's site for some more info: hermannihaven.com

Hermann's, especially when young need to be able to burrow into a deep and moist substrate. You can do what I suggest in the care sheet or you can also try another mix we have had excellent results with and that's Nature's Care organic potting mix with shredded hardwood mulch.

Coconut coir is another popular choice but be careful to not use alone because recent reports show babies dying with a build up of it in their nasal cavities and passages.

Whatever you choose, it must not be allowed to completely dry out.
I will definitely try the natures care organic potting mix with shredded hardwood mulch. Thanks for the help!