COULD ANYONE HELP SEX MY TORTOISE.

yillt

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399268158.120166.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399268158.120166.jpgI have been calling him/her Tilly for the past 2 and a half years so hopefully she will be a girl.Thanks

yillt

This is my almost 3 year old tort Tilly. TImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399269833.160478.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399269856.566495.jpg I hope these pics help. Thanks.

yillt

Does the first picture look like she has shell rot. I really want her to be healthy. So I normally fret over the tiniest things.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I don't know anything about marginated, but she sure is pretty! Hopefully some more experienced members will be along soon!:)

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm no good with sex, but I do know that those rabbit pellets don't give the tortoise a good surface to walk on and they can cause a condition called 'splay leg'. It's a bad substrate all around. Use coir, or fine grade orchid back or cypress mulch. Nothing with pine or cedar as they are toxic to torts...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the Testudo species, the males have a slit-shaped cloaca and the females cloaca is star shaped. Your tortoise's cloaca is a slit.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
@Yvonne G - the tricky part about Marginateds is that both males and females have a 'slit' shaped cloaca. Marginateds can't reliably be sexed until they are 7-8 inches long, which may or may not be the case with a 3-year-old. It might still be too early to tell. Females have the stubby, fat tail, and the 'hinge' on their plastron is more pronounced. Males have a long pointed tail.

In the Testudo species, the males have a slit-shaped cloaca and the females cloaca is star shaped. Your tortoise's cloaca is a slit.