Could an experienced keeper tell my why this is happening?

IIzDaFury

Hello everyone,

i've found this forum very useful and i've also tried helping others through what i've learned but i've come back with another issue,

I took your advice and seperated my tortoises (russians) my smallest russian thats in it's table has a window on it, i know they don't understand glass so i recently covered it up because it keeps trying to scratch through it, even after i covered the glass with some tempary paper (yellow sticky notes) till i can find something more permanent like paint, the past two days it's walked up and down the glass constantly trying to climb over it, i don't understand why

i feel it could be stressing it out because it tries so hard for a good few hours a day :/

here are some pictures (sorry 1-2 have bad quality)

I'm thinking on painting the glass or trying to cover it up with wood but it's something that i can't do right away, does anyone know why this is happening?

20160404_154702.jpg 20160404_154710.jpg 20160404_154922.jpg 20160404_154941.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When you separated them, was this the tortoise that got moved to a new table? If so, then that's your answer. They're territorial and he's trying to get back to his safe and known territory.

If you've double checked the temperature and all of your husbandry and everything is the way it is supposed to be, then just give him time. He'll settle down eventually. Try putting some plants, either real or fake, in the table. This gives him more cover so he feels a little less exposed.

IIzDaFury

yeah he was moved out but the other tortoise, the bigger one was also moved to a slightly bigger enclosure, so thats why it's happening? I'm guessing after awhile he'll stop? :O

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think I have read that Russians like a lot of space so maybe he is outgrowing his enclosure. Perhaps add a couple of bushy plants to break up his sight line and give him something to wander around? Spider plants are quite popular and safe if nibbled, but if shop bought, repot in chemical free soil and allow time for any sprays that may have been used on it to grow out. if you leave them in pots and bury the pots then they can be easily swapped if flattened or eaten. www.thetortoisetable.org.uk has ideas for other tort safe plants too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was going to say exactly what Yvonne said.

He has been moved away from "home" and he perceives that window as a way out of this foreign land. Try taping some darker collared, more opaque paper to the outside of that glass. I use brown paper grocery store bags, or cardboard cut to size.

From what I can tell in the pics, it also looks like that enclosure is way too small. Russians need a lot of space to roam and when you put them in too small of an enclosure, they sometimes scramble all day to get out.