Cool Turtle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This has always been one of my favorite turtles. I love those big eyes!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
My he has a big lady friend! Lucky little man, are they aggressive around mates? I have only ever seen spengeri and colouring of these two is amazing.
Good luck breeding.

Scruffy

These are actually Geoemyda japonica, which used to be a subspecies of spengleri, but is now the only other species in the Geoemyda genus. They don't have the cool eyes of spengleri, but many japonica have coloration that is far more red than you would ever see on a spengleri.

They are not too aggressive, but good males can be aggressive breeders. They sure do like to eat, though. I do find that the spengleri are more aggressive at feeding time, and any time for that matter. Japonica like to hide more and they breath loudly and dedicate everywhere when they are handled. Just like a turtle should!

turtlemanfla88

Beautiful animals. Has anyone breed them in the U.S.?.Someone told me I thought Andy the turtle pimp hatched some out I do not know that for sure.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Beautiful animals. Has anyone breed them in the U.S.?.Someone told me I thought Andy the turtle pimp hatched some out I do not know that for sure.
Hey Mark. He had some, but I don't know that he ever produced them. They are produced, usually in small numbers due to small clutch size and low hatch rates, by just a few people in the US. I know of quite a few now, who produce them, but they like to keep it quiet for several reasons and usually don't hatch a ton of them. Interestingly, I am probably one of the few people in the US with a group that is 100% captive bred.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So how much longer til yours can reproduce ?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
So how much longer til yours can reproduce ?
The female is ready, but the male is still too small. He is only 194 grams, but who's counting!?

Then, once they reach size of maturity, there is a lot of work and luck involved in having them reproduce. That's just one small part of why they are so rarely bred.

The story of this species is REALLY an interesting one that can tell us a lot about the pet trade, conservation, captive keeping, and ourselves, haha. Unfortunately, many people don't know of the species and far fewer know about their story and why many people are hesitant to talk about them.