Concussion?? Help please.

polo582

I have a baby sulcata tortoise, female, about 4 months old. I was cleaning out her cage so I took her out and gave her to my sister to watch for five minutes while I changed her water and such. When I went to go get her back she was hiding in her shell, my sister claimed she was lying on her stomach letting the tortoise roam, and she shifted her elbow and accidentally hit the tortoise. I don't know how hard, but it's been a day now, my tortoise seems to be spooked by everything and usually hides in the darkness. She doesn't usually do these things. I'm afraid that she might have head trauma like a concussion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know you or your sister, and I'm not saying this to offend either of you, but my experience tells me that your sister isn't telling you the whole truth. Something traumatic happened to the baby tortoise while in her care, and now he's afraid. It will take him a week or may two, to fully trust you and his environment again. Just be kind and gentle, and when you hold him be very calm and supportive.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm guessing it might be more then just a little bit by an elbow. My guess would be more like the tort got hit and fell off sisters belly and onto the floor.
Because tortoises should not roam houses, rooms, and not be around animals or little kids, it's best to put the tort in a little box on then set him on the floor in your view.

polo582

Thank you guys, also another thing showed up, and I don't know what it is. This white powder appears in small quantities, and I see it on her head and mostly in her water bowl, I have never seen it before she supposedly got hit by an elbow.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505789631.822030.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505789663.506254.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They will have what is called Urates in their stool/urine. It should be creamy like tooth paste. If it's gritty, your tort is dehydrated. That seems like a lot. Unless you are sure no one spilled powder of some sort, possibly calcium powder, then your tort needs to be hydrated. Be sure there is water available 24/7. Soak him in warm water for 30 minutes twice a day, keeping him warm the whole time and get the humidity up to 80% in the enclosure and be sure temps do not drop below 80 day and night.
Under the sulcata section are some great care threads and housing in a closed chamber. Please read and adjust your care accordingly.