Concerns about shell rot

Aszot21

Hey guys. I'm knew to this but I'm really worried about my tortoises shell because I think she might have shell rot. I've made a vet appointment and and began treating for it just to be safe (using hydrogen peroxide to clean the areas and antifungal cream to treat) Any thoughts on what could be going on with her shell? Or how to best get rid of it? It can't be caused from moisture because her enclosure is very dry. I posed pictures and in one of them I circled the areas I'm concerned about. Thanks for the help!

IMG_0638.JPG IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0657.PNG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's not shell rot. Shell rot usually happens on the plastron bottom shell. This looks to be very dry and some natural shedding, possibly to close to a heat source. Stop the peroxid. You could keep trying the antifungal add some humidity at least to the warm hide. You don't need the vet visit either if you want to save your money.

Aszot21

Okay thanks so much for the input!! Very helpful, I will soak her more often and will move her heat lamp a little further away! And no more peroxide

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I'd think that this looks like a shell that's been getting too hot/too dry. Review the distance of your heat lamps from the tort's back. Do good soaking regimen to get her well hydrated and if this was my tort I'd probably start rubbing some coconut oil on her shell (and skin). Also regular use of peroxide inhibits tissue growth, once is enough. Antifungal won't hurt though though I doubt that this is the cause of those areas of keratin to become so brittle and start to crumble and flake off