Concerned Mama here....

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
So, when I first did my research I found much information saying "reptibark" (or anything similar) was bad for russian tortoise cause they might eat it. So, we put in all coco coir stuff. Granted we are only on day 2 here, but he spent about 30 minutes earlier today kind of running around his enclosure (yes, it's glass, BUT, he has lived in glass for past 5 years before we got him). He has dug around so much that you can't even see the water dish right now (terra cotta plant saucer).

Which substrate is better or do we mix them?

Is he still just getting used to things and exploring??? Is this normal?

Do we take him out and soak him and take him outside yet or let him have more days to get used to things?

Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
tortoises do not really like change. He probably thinks he's in a new territory and he's scared. Just give me some time to adjust everything should be fine. how big is your tortoise and how big is the enclosure?

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
tortoises do not really like change. He probably thinks he's in a new territory and he's scared. Just give me some time to adjust everything should be fine. how big is your tortoise and how big is the enclosure?

He's about 5 inches long...maybe 6. He is in a 48 gallon tank (or 50 gallon)..we bought the exact same thing he has lived in his whole life so far to help minimize the adjustment period.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He's about 5 inches long...maybe 6. He is in a 48 gallon tank (or 50 gallon)..we bought the exact same thing he has lived in his whole life so far to help minimize the adjustment period.
do you know the dimensions of the tank length and width or square footage?

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The coarse coco bedding over the top may help.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA

Oh thank you!!! This looks very similar to repti-bark. Should I mix this with the softer stuff or just use one or the other? He used this stuff only in his prior home. We have only had him for 3 days.
http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/zoo-med-premium-repti-bark

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
I like 3-4 inches of the fine coco covered with an inch or two of the coarse. Works well for me.

Thanks! Any tips about my other two questions from original post?

So, when I first did my research I found much information saying "reptibark" (or anything similar) was bad for russian tortoise cause they might eat it. So, we put in all coco coir stuff. Granted we are only on day 2 here, but he spent about 30 minutes earlier today kind of running around his enclosure (yes, it's glass, BUT, he has lived in glass for past 5 years before we got him). He has dug around so much that you can't even see the water dish right now (terra cotta plant saucer).

Which substrate is better or do we mix them?

Is he still just getting used to things and exploring??? Is this normal?

Do we take him out and soak him and take him outside yet or let him have more days to get used to things?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I use only coco coir with no issues. i don't know about Repti bark except i think it's fir pieces.
it is normal when adjusting to a new home. It may take some time.
Yes, he should be soaked regularly, he should get used to his routine, in my opinion and soaking is good for him.
I'd take him outside as well, more space, I should imagine.
Russians are very active torts and in the wild roam over very large territories.
In captivity 4' by 8' is a good minimum size for an adult Russian.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
I use only coco coir with no issues. i don't know about Repti bark except i think it's fir pieces.
it is normal when adjusting to a new home. It may take some time.
Yes, he should be soaked regularly, he should get used to his routine, in my opinion and soaking is good for him.
I'd take him outside as well, more space, I should imagine.
Russians are very active torts and in the wild roam over very large territories.
In captivity 4' by 8' is a good minimum size for an adult Russian.

Thank you..... was hoping you would chime in! Okay....so tomorrow morning will be his first soak and weather permitting, time in yard. We have plenty of flat grass area for him to roam, while we tag along with him. We also have a rubbermaid container with a hide and smaller water dish to put him in in case we need to take our eyes off him for a moment.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Make sure wherever he wanders has not been treated with any chemicals (sorry, i'm sure you know that).
Yeah, the precautions are good. Russian tortoises are famous diggers, climbers and general escape artists who can move like lightning, especially when you take your eyes off them for 30 seconds! :)

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Make sure wherever he wanders has not been treated with any chemicals (sorry, i'm sure you know that).
Yeah, the precautions are good. Russian tortoises are famous diggers, climbers and general escape artists who can move like lightning, especially when you take your eyes off them for 30 seconds! :)

We did know that piece, but I'm happy for any reminders! Until we get into our own routine, I want all the reminders we can get!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
We did know that piece, but I'm happy for any reminders! Until we get into our own routine, I want all the reminders we can get!
We're all still learning, nobody knows it all.
Mix your substrates as you wish, everyone's got their own favourite, experiment and see what works best for you and your tortoise.
For a soak I have the water just above the join between plastron and carapace.
15 to 20 minutes, I expect he'll hate it to begin with.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
We're all still learning, nobody knows it all.
Mix your substrates as you wish, everyone's got their own favourite, experiment and see what works best for you and your tortoise.
For a soak I have the water just above the join between plastron and carapace.
15 to 20 minutes, I expect he'll hate it to begin with.

So, carapace doesn't need to fully be immersed?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
So, carapace doesn't need to fully be immersed?
No!!!! You'll drown him!
His head should be comfortably above the water.
i let mine soak for a few minutes and then splash water over the top of the shell and head, gently rubbing the shell if it's dirty.
Some use a soft bristle toothbrush to help with cleaning sometimes.