Concern for turtle, only eats anchovies

misswindowsxt

My terrapin hasn't been eating his regular vegetables and pellets. However, he only eats anchovies. I noticed that his flesh is bulging out from the front. Please advice! Is my terrapin growing fatter and what should I do?

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My terrapin hasn't been eating his regular vegetables and pellets. However, he only eats anchovies. I noticed that his flesh is bulging out from the front. Please advice! Is my terrapin growing fatter and what should I do?

How long have you been feeding anchovies exclusively?
A steady fish diet can lead to a medical condition called steatitis or fatty infiltration of the liver.
I would think veterinary attention is advised.

Last edited:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I think it might be time for some tough love. How long has he refused other foods? I would try to cut him off cold turkey, or possibly if he holds out for too long consider soaking his veggies in fish broth prior to feeding and see if it helps him accept them.

misswindowsxt

He has refused other food for quite a few months. If we feed him vegetables, he would just ignore them or take only 1 tiny bite.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you are feeding the turtle 'prepared' anchovies, that is, fish that comes in a can?, then your turtle is getting too much salt, and what you're seeing could be water retention. Buy some manufactured turtle pellets and don't offer anchovies any more at all.

097612400533C.jpg

The turtle can only eat what you put in front of it. If you don't give him anchovies, he can't eat them. He won't starve to death. The following excerpt is from the Gulf Coast Turtle and Tortoise Club's care sheet:

Turtles enjoy earthworms, snails, insects, tadpoles, feeder fish (killed if necessary), scrambled eggs (including the shells), and carrion, such as dead, thawed, fuzzy or hopper mice. Trout chow, catfish chow, Reptomin, etc. can be fed but only as a part of a varied diet. They should not be used exclusively. Note that earthworms and insects are usually low in calcium so should not be used exclusively either. Avoid pinkie mice. They are too high in fat and too low in calcium.

Plants taken in include most vegetation found in tropical fish tanks and local ponds. Hornwort or Coontail and Anacharis are common water plants that can be used. Although most water turtles are primarily carnivorous, greens such as dandelion, chard, kale, collard and other loose leaf greens should be offered regularly (No iceberg type lettuce).