Come on -wake up already!!

stevenf625

5 Year Member
Rhialto, an adult Dalmation tortoise has been with me for 8 months now.
2-1/2 months ago he began a new routine of sleeping all day.
upload_2017-5-2_15-55-26.png

I assumed this was - despite being in a warm, MVP lit enclosure, and despite not having cleared food out of his system – he wants to hibernate.
I chose not to allow him to hibernate and so have been dragging him out in the mornings and placing him in front of his food. I soak him 2 to 3 times a week.
He eats and after eating he'll typically bask for a short period of time, but after that he’ll dig himself in and sleep all day.
Where he digs himself in temperature-wise seems random. Sometimes he'll be in the cool section of the enclosure, but most often he's in the section where the lamps are and its in the the high 80's all day.
Sometimes he'll bury himself completely, other times he remain on top of the substrate inside a hide.

Twice I’ve left him totally alone for 4 full days and during those times he did not stir at all. I'm sure he'd stay motionless for a much longer periods if I let him.

Lately on weekends, he's been getting some outdoor time so he has seen how sunny and hot it’s out there but this has had no effect on his sleeping issue.

Should I stop messing with him and just let him sleep for as long as he likes?
Can a tortoise sleep for 1 week, 2 weeks or longer with food in his gut and at a body temp over 80F and not get sick?

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-2_15-54-49.png
    upload_2017-5-2_15-54-49.png
    314.2 KB · Views: 9

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't hibernate mine one Russian. He will usually do a slow down in the winter though where he won't eat for a few days and pretty much stays hidden for a few days at a time.
This time of year though everyone should be up and ready for warm weather. Maybe add some more light to make it brighter and be sure to keep the lights on for about 14 hours. I would keep making him get up at least every other day. If it's nice enough outside for him to stay then I would put him out.

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Rhialto, an adult Dalmation tortoise has been with me for 8 months now.
2-1/2 months ago he began a new routine of sleeping all day.
View attachment 206367

I assumed this was - despite being in a warm, MVP lit enclosure, and despite not having cleared food out of his system – he wants to hibernate.
I chose not to allow him to hibernate and so have been dragging him out in the mornings and placing him in front of his food. I soak him 2 to 3 times a week.
He eats and after eating he'll typically bask for a short period of time, but after that he’ll dig himself in and sleep all day.
Where he digs himself in temperature-wise seems random. Sometimes he'll be in the cool section of the enclosure, but most often he's in the section where the lamps are and its in the the high 80's all day.
Sometimes he'll bury himself completely, other times he remain on top of the substrate inside a hide.

Twice I’ve left him totally alone for 4 full days and during those times he did not stir at all. I'm sure he'd stay motionless for a much longer periods if I let him.

Lately on weekends, he's been getting some outdoor time so he has seen how sunny and hot it’s out there but this has had no effect on his sleeping issue.

Should I stop messing with him and just let him sleep for as long as he likes?
Can a tortoise sleep for 1 week, 2 weeks or longer with food in his gut and at a body temp over 80F and not get sick?
I would second that. It's not the time of the year, spring is here! Something is wrong I would go to a Vet do a fecal exam and a basic blood work. Keep us updated, good luck!

stevenf625

5 Year Member
Update:
It turns out to be an indoor vs outdoor thing.

Outdoors, Rhialto is awake, alert, and walking around.

Indoors Rhialto will hide and sleep all day. Maybe theres something about the Mercury Vapor Lamps he does not like.

In any case, I put together an outdoor enclosure, secure enough to protect him during the day and have been taking him in at night.