Combination lighting

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Without going into the physics, not all UVB is the same. The wavelengths used by plants are not the same as those used by your tort

You need a reptile UVB lamp and I'm not sure this is one?

Your tort needs darkness at night so the moonlight feature is wasted.

If you're trying to reduce wires then get a Mercury Vapor Bulb which combines UVB with basking heat.

Your tort must have the basking heat in order to digest food and be active. The above lamp doesn't seem to do basking heat either unless I'm missing something

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you living in a cold or warm climate.
I agree with JoesMum. You may need additional heat. Unless you live in a very warm area of the world.
It says for reptiles, but I just don't know.
We have a few members with knowledge of many lighting types. One of them can surely say if this will work or not.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Im not sure i would classify something thats 186$ as "cost effective"
What is your current setup like? I bought a nice digital timer at lows for like 15 dollars has two grounded plugs works really well. Doesn't make any buzzing noise.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Trying to find a cost effective and less "cord/timer messy" solution for lighting Benny's enclosure and came across this fixture. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ho...b-2x-daylight-bulbs-plant-pro-built-in-timer/
Any thoughts on the potential dangers/benefits?

All that fixture is, is an aquarium light "re-marketed" for reptiles. I used one just like it for my reef tank. It should work, but you may need to buy reptile bulbs instead of using the stock bulbs. But do you really need 4 bulbs? I'd look for one that is just a 2 bulb fixture with timer, and buy UV bulbs separately for reptiles unless they tell you the type and maker of the bulbs it comes with. Perhaps you could get one reptile bulb and the other a plant bulb if you wish to turn the cage in to a terrarium for plants as well.

I would email them and ask about the bulbs, and then research what they are really used for. It might require you to read up about the different wave lengths of UV for plants vs reptiles. Having 4 bulbs seems like a bit much, but it all depends on what you're trying to do. If you have a big/tall tank filled with live plants I could see the need.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Todd, the owner of lightyourreptiles, is extremely knowledgeable about lighting. One of my best sources of information when I have questions. He is a long-time reptile keeper way before he started the lighting business. He is extremely cautious of only offering the better bulbs that give correct spectrums for the application. That's why you won't see many of the bulbs you may see in pet stores or online offered by him. I have made mistakes in the past buying less expensive fixtures and tubes and later regretted the type of light they put out.

The fixture you are looking at is one he designed to ensure the complete range of light for a great enclosure. It has one of the best UVB lights as well as lights for ambient lighting and plant growth - which adds richer UVA. He knows I use two fluorescent fixtures to do similar things and separate timers, yet I don't have the plant light spectrum bulb but do want to add it for plant health in my enclosure. He is a big believer in getting the best CRI (color rendering index) from your light sources as part of the equation for proper enclosure lighting.

As mentioned above, this is for lighting and does not provide basking heat. Although you will find when you start adding fluorescent fixtures inside an enclosure, those ballasts do add heat to your ambient heat of the setup. So - you will still need to have basking heat and ambient heat emitters or panels in addition to this unit.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks all. I have a 5'x6" enclosure, so I am always looking for solutions, and in a year or so my tort will probably be too big for that and have roam of the house.
I like that it's broad spectrum, and the moon light I would only use for an hour or so to bring Benny some relaxation after all the glaring bulbs have shut off
I have had no luck in four years at growing anything inside the enclosure. Benny has it in for all plant life and tramples anything he doesn't eat or tear out of the ground. He's also particularly fond of ramming decorations and shoving them out of place. That's my shellbaby- he's a big brute