Colored Urine - Help!

NormyMommy

So the past week, everytime I give my tortoise a bath I've noticed his urine is colored, whereas it usually is like egg whites. The first couple times I wondered if it was because he has recently eaten a carrot, but now I'm really starting to worry.

Attachments

• 1489782364776622118579.jpg
    1489782364776622118579.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Quite likely it is coloured by food. Dandelions turn it a fascinating pink colour :D

Your Russian's diet should be leafy weedy greens.

It cannot digest sugars properly, they cause digestive and kidney problems, so carrot, tomato, fruit and bell pepper should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally - if at all.

NormyMommy

As far as I know, he hasn't eaten any dandelions or anything along that line. I feed him a 50/50 mix but he loves the purple lettuce, like radicchio and red leaf lettuce. I'm hoping that's what it's from. He will go through the food we give him and eat just those leaves! He only got the 1 carrot for the month so I made sure that's very moderated. Could the purple lettuce change his urine colot or should I be concerned of something more serious?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
When did he eat the carrot and how big was the carrot? Sparingly means a small piece not a whole carrot.

The purple lettuce shouldn't have coloured it.

How often do you soak your tort? And how long for? Do you use any supplements?

NormyMommy

I gave him a mini carrot cut up into tiny pieces about 2 weeks ago. I read on a forum 1 mini carrot a month is okay.....but since this happened I've rethought that idea. I use calcium powder twice a week on his lettuce. I also soak him 2xs a week for about 20-25 minutes each time.