Cold weather and leopard tortoises

Wartortle

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California (Simi Valley)
It's getting a tiny bit chilly here in San Diego. I've been bringing my leopard tortoise inside at night whenever it gets lower than 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Just out of curiosity, what would be the limit for an adult leopard tortoise? My Russians stay outside all year long, but what temps do you guys bring leopards inside at?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Tom can help here with CA weather. My leopards here in Chicago is inside their heated shed now until the temps are 70-75 but sunny with no chilly wind. The ground temp is usually warmer in the sun at those temps for my area.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I agree with the above, build him a heated tort house. :cool:
I don't like my leopard to be out in cool weather. If he "parks it" under a bush and camps there in <70° temps, I put him into his heated outdoor tort house.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't start bringing in the sub adults and adults until the nighttime temps are in the low 50's. Usually at those temperatures, we still are getting up to at least 80 degrees during the day.

If your highs are less than 80, I think a night box would be appropriate.

Bestcoast

5 Year Member
I found a gentleman who builds custom heated tortoise houses in Ontario. I just got mine last week so that my leopard has a warm enclosure. If you would like his info I can forward it to you.IMG_1229-1.JPG

Bestcoast

5 Year Member
Ontario in the Inland Empire in SoCal. He wired it with a basking lamp and zoomed thermostat and GFI. He does custom work though so you may be able to have him construct something different if that's what you want.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ontario in the Inland Empire in SoCal. He wired it with a basking lamp and zoomed thermostat and GFI. He does custom work though so you may be able to have him construct something different if that's what you want.

Wasn't a guy named Steven, was it? LOL

My cousin, Steven does this in Ontario. He's a contractor and does heated dog houses on the side. Last year I showed him my tort house....I'm wondering if he branched out!

Anyway, I'd love to see more photos of your house. Did you start your own thread yet?

Bestcoast

5 Year Member
No, his name is Mike and he does metal fabrication. The tortoise houses are a side project as he breeds sulcatas. Found him on craigslist. Not as fancy as some of the ones posted in other threads but it will do for now. I think I will hinge the roof and change the basking lamp to a space heater in the near future if I can enlist some help.