COLD DARK ROOM

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
It's the UK. It happens. We're used to it. It doesn't stop us moaning though :D

It's very unusual for summer to be long, warm and dry over here. We have a very changeable climate that suffers from the Jet Stream's every whim. The upside is that the Jet Stream keeps our climate considerably milder than that of places on the same latitude in the USA. The downside is that the wind changes direction rapidly and we can and do get completely unexpected cold, wet or hot spells at a moment's notice.
And then there's summer in Montana, where my youngest sister and her family live. It's always very dry out there, so summer always brings wildfires. I googled Montana wildfires 2017, and found the current wildfires currently being battled :eek: :
Lolo Peak Fire- currently consuming 468 acres
Goat Creek Fire- 1,319 acres
Little Hog Back Fire- 2,095 acres
Sliderock Fire- 385 acres
Sunrise Fire- 1,000 acres

I'll take hurricanes over wildfires any day!!!! They are used to it by now.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The procedure is tomorrow. Last time a male nurse had to shave me pretty much entirely.
This time, I'm doing my own chest and nether regions.
I'm sure it will be much appreciated
I hope it goes well Ed. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. We will all be thinking of you. Get well soon!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
And then there's summer in Montana, where my youngest sister and her family live. It's always very dry out there, so summer always brings wildfires. I googled Montana wildfires 2017, and found the current wildfires currently being battled :eek: :
Lolo Peak Fire- currently consuming 468 acres
Goat Creek Fire- 1,319 acres
Little Hog Back Fire- 2,095 acres
Sliderock Fire- 385 acres
Sunrise Fire- 1,000 acres

I'll take hurricanes over wildfires any day!!!! They are used to it by now.
That doesn't sound good at all. :(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Good luck with that Ed. What are they actually doing to you tomorrow?
Yes.
It's called a cardiac ablation.
It's to cure my SVT.
I had it done a year ago, but it didn't work entirely.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
That doesn't sound good at all. :(
That was only a tiny portion of the post on the current wildfires. They've got firefighters out all over the place, bulldozers creating breaks in the timber and foliage so the fires have nothing to burn and can't keep going, planes dropping water in strategic spots, evacuation readiness for some areas, evacuation orders for other areas. For areas not in danger from the fires but getting smoke, warnings for children, elderly and asthmatics to limit outdoor exposure.
I think everyone learns to adapt to the weather hazards in their area, whether it's fire, hurricanes or winter snows etc. There are no deaths reported thus far.

When we get weather we're NOT used to, it can be a little amusing. I have some friends who moved down here from Ohio, where they get heavy snow, ice and sub-zero winter temperatures, which we almost NEVER get down here. A few years back, our Ohio friends were vastly amused by our response to unexpected weather. We got a very light dusting of snow one January day: it only persisted on rooftops, telephone poles and a few high patches of ground. Some of the streets accumulated some ice and slush. Everybody panicked: schools closed and businesses closed. The police advised people to stay home unless absolutely necessary because no one down here knows how to drive in icy conditions. They either drive like usual (and end up slipping, sliding and crashing into things) or else they think it's all a lark and drive like mad trying to see how far they can slide! Pretty ridiculous! :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When we get weather we're NOT used to, it can be a little amusing. I have some friends who moved down here from Ohio, where they get heavy snow, ice and sub-zero winter temperatures, which we almost NEVER get down here. A few years back, our Ohio friends were vastly amused by our response to unexpected weather. We got a very light dusting of snow one January day: it only persisted on rooftops, telephone poles and a few high patches of ground. Some of the streets accumulated some ice and slush. Everybody panicked: schools closed and businesses closed. The police advised people to stay home unless absolutely necessary because no one down here knows how to drive in icy conditions. They either drive like usual (and end up slipping, sliding and crashing into things) or else they think it's all a lark and drive like mad trying to see how far they can slide! Pretty ridiculous! :D
That happens here too. My part of England hardly ever gets snow and copes very badly when it happens. I grew up in Yorkshire where snow was a fact of life... Or at least it was in my day before until climate change set in. There's still far more snow up there than down here.

JSWallace

That was only a tiny portion of the post on the current wildfires. They've got firefighters out all over the place, bulldozers creating breaks in the timber and foliage so the fires have nothing to burn and can't keep going, planes dropping water in strategic spots, evacuation readiness for some areas, evacuation orders for other areas. For areas not in danger from the fires but getting smoke, warnings for children, elderly and asthmatics to limit outdoor exposure.
I think everyone learns to adapt to the weather hazards in their area, whether it's fire, hurricanes or winter snows etc. There are no deaths reported thus far.

Ha that's funny. We're a bit like that here, although we don't have any extremes of weather we don't seem to cope well with anything other than sort of cool and damp!!