COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
That's good to hear yvonne can I pick ur brains please about my torts substrate I'm using coir however it was dry n dusty so I av tipp d in water and mixed it up with my hand now the substrate wen I squeeze handful holds shape in my hand but there is no water drip out does this sound about right my tort is a Russian :)
That sounds about right. You don't want it soggy. You want it damp enough to hold together. All of it needs to be damp right down to the bottom and right into the corners

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Linda:)
How are you?
Not too bad thanks Noel. It's been a difficult couple of weeks.

JoesDad and I are off to Wiltshire in the south west of England at the weekend to go to a silver wedding party. We need some fun :) We shall be very close to the famous Stonehenge stone circle, but I'm not sure we'll get close enough for a photo

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
That sounds about right. You don't want it soggy. You want it damp enough to hold together. All of it needs to be damp right down to the bottom and right into the corners
Thanks Linda iv done what u advised took all my things out tipped water in and mixed it all together some some of the coir stuck to my hands but I kept squeezing it until it held the shape in my hand but no water dropped out just worrying as my humidity is 74% now my lights av gone off I'm wanting to try n persevere with the coir as I'm not happy with the read up of top soil I just do t want it to cold and moist and makes him ill I'm worrying coz he as nt eaten for 2 days accept one dandelion yesterday he has been out both morning pottering about yesterday 4 hours today 3 hours then in his hide box dug in but not even bothered his food that's on his slate but his eyes are not running neither is his noes :-(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks Linda iv done what u advised took all my things out tipped water in and mixed it all together some some of the coir stuck to my hands but I kept squeezing it until it held the shape in my hand but no water dropped out just worrying as my humidity is 74% now my lights av gone off I'm wanting to try n persevere with the coir as I'm not happy with the read up of top soil I just do t want it to cold and moist and makes him ill I'm worrying coz he as nt eaten for 2 days accept one dandelion yesterday he has been out both morning pottering about yesterday 4 hours today 3 hours then in his hide box dug in but not even bothered his food that's on his slate but his eyes are not running neither is his noes :-(
It will take time for the enclosure to warm back up properly after doing it. Don't worry if temperatures are a bit down for a couple of days. They should recover as the water warms up

Laura1412

5 Year Member
It will take time for the enclosure to warm back up properly after doing it. Don't worry if temperatures are a bit down for a couple of days. They should recover as the water warms up
Thanks Linda just another question please how can I measure my basking spot temp at shell height

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks Linda just another question please how can I measure my basking spot temp at shell height
You need a temperature gun thermometer and a bit of guesswork.

An upside down bowl, cup or similar under the lamp that's roughly the same height as your tort's shell will make it more accurate.

For a very small tortoise, floor level is accurate enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's good to hear yvonne can I pick ur brains please about my torts substrate I'm using coir however it was dry n dusty so I av tipp d in water and mixed it up with my hand now the substrate wen I squeeze handful holds shape in my hand but there is no water drip out does this sound about right my tort is a Russian :)

I don't use coir because of the strings, but for Russian tortoises you don't need a whole lot of humidity. So if you allow the top layer to dry out, that should be just fine. I'm surprised you found it dusty. Most people who use it say it's not dusty.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
I don't use coir because of the strings, but for Russian tortoises you don't need a whole lot of humidity. So if you allow the top layer to dry out, that should be just fine. I'm surprised you found it dusty. Most people who use it say it's not dusty.
Well it was terrible mine wen I was moving it about as iv always been advised to just mist it it had like clouds of dust puffing up so I thought that could be the cause of Clyde makin the popping sound that it's too dry n dusty so I decided to try what people av advised n tip water in but on doin that the humidity is really high so now I'm panicking :)

Laura1412

5 Year Member
You need a temperature gun thermometer and a bit of guesswork.

An upside down bowl, cup or similar under the lamp that's roughly the same height as your tort's shell will make it more accurate.

For a very small tortoise, floor level is accurate enough.
Thanks Linda u r a good send iv got a temp gun but wen I temp under it it's always diffrent readings so iv tried putting a probe thermometer on a rock n looking at that but no temp is ever giving the same reading:mad:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well it was terrible mine wen I was moving it about as iv always been advised to just mist it it had like clouds of dust puffing up so I thought that could be the cause of Clyde makin the popping sound that it's too dry n dusty so I decided to try what people av advised n tip water in but on doin that the humidity is really high so now I'm panicking :)
Hi Laura
As long as its not soggy and your temps are warm enough you should be fine
I was advised that -
right temps +humidity = healthy tort:)
too cold + humidity = sick tort:(
Do you have a temp gun? I bought mine from Amazon about £10 and its great to spot check temps.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Hi Laura
As long as its not soggy and your temps are warm enough you should be fine
I was advised that -
right temps +humidity = healthy tort:)
too cold + humidity = sick tort:(
Do you have a temp gun? I bought mine from Amazon about £10 and its great to spot check temps.
Yea Lyn iv got a temp gun thanks I'm just keeping check my temps are really warm in day too warm I think so in my overall enclosure so I'm trial and error with bulbs I will get there :)