Coco coir

Status
Not open for further replies.

J REED

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Coco coir

jjsull33 said:
Someone else with experience with those 2 species can give you more detail on how deep to put it, but I am fairly certain that sulcata love to dig. I am not sure about the leopard, I don't think they dig as much, but all tortoises feel more secure and comfortable if they are able to hide well.

Are you getting them as hatchlings? or juvenile?

Hatchlings. The only thing I can find around here is pine bark and sphagnum...

Jeremy

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
I wouldn't use the pine, I am fairly certain that the scent is not great for them since they are right there in it.
I use sphagnum in my RF enclosures but only a little.

You can get the coco bricks at a grow store, hydroponic supply store, or a pet store. Cheapest is probably the hydroponics store, as long as it is 100% coco coir then it is what you want.

J REED

5 Year Member
Found some coco coir at the feed store.3cubic ft blocks for $10...ill grab 2

Jeremy

jjsull33 said:
I wouldn't use the pine, I am fairly certain that the scent is not great for them since they are right there in it.
I use sphagnum in my RF enclosures but only a little.

You can get the coco bricks at a grow store, hydroponic supply store, or a pet store. Cheapest is probably the hydroponics store, as long as it is 100% coco coir then it is what you want.

She said bag/block says 100%

Jeremy

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Perfect, that is a decent price too. You will have to post pictures of the enclosures once you make finish them.

J REED

5 Year Member

jjsull33 said:
Perfect, that is a decent price too. You will have to post pictures of the enclosures once you make finish them.

I will. Now on the hunt for a thermostat..

Jeremy

J REED

5 Year Member
Was your coco coir in a brick and have to be wet down to expand?

Jeremy

1372358968842.jpg

Jeremylike this

Jeremy

1372359131221.jpg

Attachments

• 1372359096418.jpg
    1372359096418.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Yes, exactly like that except I use a different brand.

The hotter the water you use the quicker it will expand, and if you put it in a sealed container to expand, such as a 30 gallon tote or a contractor trash bag tied off, it will also help it expand quicker.

After it is all expanded I mix it around to make sure its all wet and not a clump in the middle and either add more water or you are done. It will get a lot heavier once wet so careful moving it afterwards.

Before putting it in the cage I usually squeeze some of the water out as well, so that it is still wet but not dripping. The heat lamps above will help to dry off the top layer as well, or you can really wring out the last bit you put on top and make it dry that way.

J REED

5 Year Member
Awesome.thanks for the quick reply

Jeremy

Did u break it up any?

Jeremy

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Nah, just throw the whole brick (or all the bricks depending how much you need) into whatever you are soaking it in. After the 20-30 min expansion time break it up with your hands or a stick or something to make sure its all expanded and not still a brick in the very center, but other than that I just throw the whole thing into the water.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
It is so fun to watch! Lol. I know I'm weird. Ill do a time lap video for you guys!

J REED

5 Year Member

Jlant85 said:
It is so fun to watch! Lol. I know I'm weird. Ill do a time lap video for you guys!

Lol....

Jeremy

In the making... I thought I was gonna be able to apen a bag and pour it in like sphagnum. ...lol1372366062700.jpg

Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:

J REED

5 Year Member
Im letting whats on the plastic dry out more for the top layer while im at work tonight and the other absorb all the water it can for bottom layer..

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.