Coco Coir?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
So would my IKEA coco coir be OK to use even if with unspecified nutrients for plant growth?
I wouldn't use it unless you can find out exactly what was put in it. You could contact the manufacturer and ask.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's a good idea, thanks tortdad.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
The block I got from my nursery was the equivalent of about 20 pet store sized bricks for $12. They must have different sized blocks.

I think so! That was a really good buy. I think I got free shipping in my order and that was it was worth it to me.

TaylorLO

My boyfriend and I just bought that a couple days ago! We are building them a new enclosure, should the entire area be filled with the eco earth? We have some slate to put in their too.

thomas0604

5 Year Member
The block I got from my nursery was the equivalent of about 20 pet store sized bricks for $12. They must have different sized blocks.

Hi Tom. If I use cypress mulch for my indoor tortoise enclosure, should I mix it with the coco coir? If yes, do I need to put the coco coir at the bottom and the cypress mulch at the top or just mix them up?
Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom. If I use cypress mulch for my indoor tortoise enclosure, should I mix it with the coco coir? If yes, do I need to put the coco coir at the bottom and the cypress mulch at the top or just mix them up?
Thank you.

I don't see any reason to mix them. I would just choose one or the other.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
So would my IKEA coco coir be OK to use even if with unspecified nutrients for plant growth?

Rehydrate it in a large amount of water & drain off the water. You can rinse it multiple times if desired. It should be fine.