Climbing Star Tortoise

Berkeley

I thought yall might appreciate this. One of my star tortoises is incredibly agile, and must think that he is a pancake tortoise or something. I've been able to catch him in the act of climbing a couple of times, but I see him doing this periodically.
100_2884.JPG 100_2885.JPG Apparently, he just likes to have an elevated basking area. (I did not place him there!)
100_2892.JPG One afternoon, I was able to capture him descend the piece of wood that he was on. It was feeding time, and he saw me coming with a plate.
IMG_1992.jpg IMG_1993.jpg IMG_1995.jpg IMG_1996.jpg IMG_1997.jpg IMG_1998.jpg

I've never met another star that was anywhere near as agile. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? This fellow provides a bit of entertainment!

Thanks for looking,
--Berkeley

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Great star! Their personality and agility is often underrated.

It's nice to meet you Berkely. I have a 5 year old named Berkley!

Berkeley

Thanks, all. Yes, he's a good one!

G-Stars, that's pretty cool. How high does yours go when it climbs? Is it a male or a female?

Neal, very nice to meet you as well. Great to hear about your Berkley. There aren't many of us around!
--Berkeley

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Male and it's weird he only does it at night to put himself to bed. About the same height as yours.

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
Your star is so beautiful and quite a climber! Among mine, I noticed that star babies were more agile and more interested in climbing than adults.

Berkeley

Thanks for the continued comments, yall. Yes, I agree, I think he's a pretty good lookin' star too. In regards to the babies, in my experience, I have found them to be borderline comatose. Ha! The ones I have raised don't really move all that much, except when they are soaking- they HATE that.

G-stars, that's pretty funny. I can just picture him climbing on up, the tortoise version of a bunk bed.
--Berkeley

Berkeley

Thanks for the kind words, Iwaihoong, Mchong, Carol and Spannerz. I appreciate it.
(I'll tell him how good looking you all think he is.)
--Berkeley

Sanjo

I have two baby stars and one of them loves climbing! He's only 4 months old but I found him on top of two bricks piled on together and for his size it was quite surprising that he climbed on his own! Your fellow is very cute :)