Cleaning question

acciotortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Does anyone know how often to change out the bedding? While at the vet the other day I was recommended to use shredded paper for my red footed baby tort.

Thanks for any help

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
paper won't hold humidity or allow burrowing.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I wouldn't use paper, what did you have him on before the vet suggested you change it? I have mine on cypress mulch. If you are trying to monitor bowel movements or anything since he has been ill maybe you could use packed damp coco coir or something?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please don't listen to your vet on that one. The one vet in my area says the same thing, but then calls a pyramiding tort unhealthy. Hmmm, funny, that their caresheet will raise just that, a pyramiding tort. Sad a reptile vet gives poor advice. Use coir or orchard bark for babies. They need a high humidity. Please check out http://www.tortoiselibrary.com, great info for RF.
Also if you bake your substrate first, 250 for 2-3 hours it will help to keep the irritating flying fruit fly look he bugs away. Then spot clean and it can last a year or more.

acciotortoise

Florida
when we were given our tort it came with reptile bark.
I wouldn't use paper, what did you have him on before the vet suggested you change it? I have mine on cypress mulch. If you are trying to monitor bowel movements or anything since he has been ill maybe you could use packed damp coco coir or something?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Redfoots need high humidity, otherwise you'll get a tortoise who looks like a pine cone. If you don't have a DIGITAL thermometer and humidity gauge then next time you head to a hardware store (or any store with a garden center) grab a combo version for under $20. It is totally worth it. Don't waste your money on the little ZooMed dials from the pet store.

acciotortoise

Florida
we were given a pack of forest moss we plan to use after he gets better. The paper is only temporary.

acciotortoise

Florida
sadly Horatio is quite ill, however the vet gave us meds and we go back in 2 weeks to see how they are working. Think they are helping though

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
sadly Horatio is quite ill, however the vet gave us meds and we go back in 2 weeks to see how they are working. Think they are helping though
I just remembered reading this in your other thread, so sorry for forgetting. Hopefully he'll soon be better.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hope your little guy get better soon. Please don't listen to any pet shops and most vet I take with a grain of salt. The keepers on this forum have so much knowledge and experience from trial and error. Good luck