Clay substrate for tortoises

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
People who know what this is and have seen it in action please give me ur opinion on it ??

please and thank you

Attachments

• 1380233835406.jpg
    1380233835406.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 105

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Dirt from the back yard is the same thing and would be a whole lot cheaper.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
I don't know the answer but recently wondered the same thing... wonder if it could be good as substrate in part if the table...

5 Year Member
Yah but its honestly easier this way haha my backyard is full of stickers and my boyfriend who has the babies live in an apartment. But dirt might have particulars and little rocks that they might eat. Is it safe to try ??

please and thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can use ANY substrate that you want to, but keep in mind that you need to give the tortoises what they need, and what they need in a substrate is something that you can put water on to moisten it, and keep it moist. If you can wet this product, and it stays moist for your babies, then it would be ok to try it.

5 Year Member
Well what me nd my boyfriend are starting to do is just get a box and test it in the box before we do anything hahaha thank u

please and thank you

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
What you could also do, to clean the topsoil that you already have, which is free, is get a wire mesh colander from the 99 cent only store or a restaurant supply or maybe someone already has one and sift the topsoil through it to remove anything that should not be brought in to the tortoise enclosure.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Dirt from the backyard is not the same as this . Please do not listen to them . This clay substrate keeps its shape so your tortoise can burrow and it doesn't have any pesticides and "things" that may be in the dirt outside . :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Ewww. Have you ever put clay on your face and had it cake and draw out impurities? Okay, babies need hot and humid = healthy and happy to not dehydrate and to support their developing kidneys. So if you have high humidity and their little water dish, the babies are going to be a clay cake-y mess and just like clay draws things out of our skin, this will draw out from them. So teeter and totter, humid to keep them healthy and then clay drawing it out. Sounds like a lot of work and a bad cycle to start. Babies need a hide-y, they do not need clay to work at making their own burrow. That's work. They are too young to have to go to work. Bleh. My opinion, thumb's down.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Ewww. Have you ever put clay on your face and had it cake and draw out impurities? Okay, babies need hot and humid = healthy and happy to not dehydrate and to support their developing kidneys. So if you have high humidity and their little water dish, the babies are going to be a clay cake-y mess and just like clay draws things out of our skin, this will draw out from them. So teeter and totter, humid to keep them healthy and then clay drawing it out. Sounds like a lot of work and a bad cycle to start. Babies need a hide-y, they do not need clay to work at making their own burrow. That's work. They are too young to have to go to work. Bleh. My opinion, thumb's down.

Thats very true i agree , but i was just telling them what it is , not if its good or not :D because thats what they asked :)