chipped shell and flaky scales?

Hi
I have had my horsefield tortoise for a week now. I am new to caring for a tortoise.

I believe he is no older than 8 months. He has quite dry flaky scales on his head and legs. Is this normal? I am bathing him for only a few minutes each day as he does not seem keen. I thought dehydration maybe?

His shell also has a sort of line down the the middle which seems ever so slightly raised and shinier than other parts. Could this be shell 8growth?

Also, his shell near his tail seems incomplete, almost as if it has been damaged. Could he have hatched like this or will it grow?

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome to the Forum. The chipped shell margin must have been due to some kind of a trauma, nothing you can do about it now. As for the dryness of skin/shell/scales, torts need high humidity and all baby torts should get daily soaks to stay well hydrated. I also rub mine down with extra virgin coconut oil about once a week after their bath. It helps keeping their skin supple and conditions those shells and scales. But if you don't like the idea of massaging coco oil into your tort then just be sure keep her enclosure warm and humid and give her daily soaks. Make sure she has access to drinking water 24/7. Torts DO DRINK!!!! I see mine now drink all the time! When they were babies they were a lot more discrete about it but they DO drink.

Thanks. He is very reluctant to soak. It really seems to stress him out so I only bathe him for a few minutes. Hopefully this will improve with time.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thanks. He is very reluctant to soak. It really seems to stress him out so I only bathe him for a few minutes. Hopefully this will improve with time.
I know! Mine used to freak out too and it was extremely stressful for me to watch! My fix has been moving their bath into a small human size bathtub in my kids bathroom which they haven't been using (they like our downstairs shower better:)) I got this idea from the forum, saw some people using their sink, and I thought why not use the tub! And bingo! It was like magic!!! My torts absolutely LOVE their bathtime! They are 2 yrs old, spend all day outside in their garden and before goong to bed in their warm humid tank at night they bathe almost daily for about 30 min or so. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497964456.777947.jpg I usually put couple treats in thereImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497964497.470437.jpg and slowly raise water temp from low 90's to about 103F

Pearly

5 Year Member
I know! Mine used to freak out too and it was extremely stressful for me to watch! My fix has been moving their bath into a small human size bathtub in my kids bathroom which they haven't been using (they like our downstairs shower better:)) I got this idea from the forum, saw some people using their sink, and I thought why not use the tub! And bingo! It was like magic!!! My torts absolutely LOVE their bathtime! They are 2 yrs old, spend all day outside in their garden and before goong to bed in their warm humid tank at night they bathe almost daily for about 30 min or so. View attachment 210782 I usually put couple treats in thereView attachment 210783 and slowly raise water temp from low 90's to about 103F
Sorry, there's more, hit wrong prompt.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Sorry, there's more, hit wrong prompt.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497964710.386146.jpg anyway aside from hydrating, cleaning and getting a chance to examine my babies after their outdoor time for nicks/cuts/pokes/bugs/ants/ticks (you never know!!!) I also raise their body temp nicely before they eat supper and go to bed, which they seem to really enjoy. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497964973.266393.jpg i use this little sink drain sieve to trap their poo and stuff bfr it clogs up my plumbing lol! I know! Gross!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
The point I am trying to make is that small soaking containers work great for some people but didn't for me. I used to hate their bath time and they did too. Keep your mind open and just try different things until you find what works for you and your baby. Afterall the two of you will be stuck together for many years to come, so use the guidelines for care of your tort species and remember: SAFETY FIRST, but overall it has to be a workable situation for both you and your tort. Over time you'll develop your own great system. Keep trying. :)