Chick waterer for tortoises?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Has anybody used one of these for their tortoises? Somebody told me they work well, the water stays clean because the tortoise can't get in it. I don't think it is meant for hatchlings. More like small breeds like Russians Greeks etc. Of course, this requires soaking the tortoise more often which does not bother me at all. Interested in what people think. Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the bowl part is big enough for them to submerge their whole face, it would be ok, however, lots of tortoises really like to climb into the water bowl. You'd be removing all his fun at making you clean the water constantly.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If the bowl part is big enough for them to submerge their whole face, it would be ok, however, lots of tortoises really like to climb into the water bowl. You'd be removing all his fun at making you clean the water constantly.
I have one of these waters that I got when I first got my chicks., but I haven't seen if my Russians head will fit in it. I've thought about putting a little fountain in the indoor enclosure. Most animals seem to prefer running water. In 2 1/2 years I never saw my Russian go in her water indoors. And the water was only dirty from substrate twice. So I don't put a water bowl inside. There is one outdoors though. I keep the substrate moist and I soak my tortoise twice a week. But I still feel a little guilty that there's no water in there at all times. I might give this a shot. I'll let you know if it works.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
The waterers come in different sizes. The ones I use for my Silkies could easily fit a fairly large tortoise head. Chick waterers are pretty small, but would likely work for hatchlings.