Cherry Head Red Foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Colony Texas!
Whats the difference between the cherry head and a reggular red foot. I thought they had the same requirements. Possibly adopting two. Also, can they be housed together? (The cherry head and regular red foot)

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
A cherry head is a redfoot from a certain region, I believe they have the same requirements as a regular one but someone with more experience will have to confirm that. The cherry head generally has a brighter coloration on the head and I believe stay a bit smaller.

If you go to the redfoot/yellow foot forum I believe there are threads stickied at the top that describe the differences on detail.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I recently rescued some adult redfoots so I'm still learning too, but I'm fairly certain the only real difference between them is region and that care is the same.

Are they similar sizes?

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Cherryheads are generally a couple of inches smaller. They also seem to be more aggressive in mating, occur in lower humidity ranges and are generally hardier

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
jjsull33 said:
I recently rescued some adult redfoots so I'm still learning too, but I'm fairly certain the only real difference between them is region and that care is the same.

Are they similar sizes?

Yes they are both 6 month old

porter

10 Year Member!
Here's a picture of the underside of a cherry compared to a northern hope it helps

Northern
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370203883.174333.jpg

Cherry
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370203902.597548.jpg

I house a cherry with three reds with no bother at all, requirements are the same and the rumour about them being smaller isn't true my cherryhead is 11 inches and growing

Last edited by a moderator:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
tupacliveson16 said:
Whats the difference between the cherry head and a reggular red foot. I thought they had the same requirements. Possibly adopting two. Also, can they be housed together? (The cherry head and regular red foot)

Check out ....WWW.TORTOISECOVE.COM for more pics and your viewing enjoyment on this breed~

JD~:)

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
N2TORTS said:
tupacliveson16 said:

Check out ....WWW.TORTOISECOVE.COM for more pics and your viewing enjoyment on this breed~

JD~:)

Thanks man!

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Heres a link to a thread JD put up showing all about it, really cool stuff.

Ive only had my cherry a couple of months, so not so long. Its a really fun learning experience, and everyone here is always helpful. Cherries IMO are coolest torts there are, check out JDs, his are purrrrty :)

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/showthread.php?tid=71351

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Here is an article about cherries- https://sites.google.com/site/torto...formation/chelonoidis/red-footed--cherry-head

Cherry-head describes a color morph of the sorts of red-footed tortoises that come from the sub-rainforest region of east and southeast Brazil. Tortoises from that region also come in more typical yellows and oranges, but when they are red they can be pretty spectacular. Because many of them are not 'cherry-headed', other terms used for this type are Eastern or Brazilian.

There is a ton of debate as to whether these guys are a race, sub-species, or species. There are distinctive anatomic and genetic differences between them and the more typical red-footeds from Venezuela and other northeastern regions. The DNA differences are enough to justify the species status, but it is still debated and probably will not be resolved soon. (It is not a high priority.)

Easterns have some care differences, but they mostly apply to things like being a bit more tolerant of temperatures and humidities, having a different breeding/laying cycle, and more male aggressiveness. There are no known diet differences (although wild Easterns seem to eat a lot more cacti than the others do.)

Status
Not open for further replies.