Cherry head hatchling: start of shell rot or just new growth?

Bryan

10 Year Member!
I have just finished first application of anti-fungal to all plastrons (My wife officially thinks im nuts, using my iPhone to light up the area outside so i can put athletes foot cream on tortoise hatchlings in the dark!).

I also dug down in all areas and found that although the coconut coir is slightly moist, it is NOT wet, and i couldnt wring this stuff out if i wanted to. Now where the coco husk is touching the coir layer it is much more wet, and i think i do need to swap out the husk for orchid bark. I will do this tomorrow AM.

I am also taking out the water reservior as well, as i think it is just too much water and is not letting the substrate properly cycle its water. This will allow me over time to really hone in on an 80-85% humidity and let me keep humid moss piles around again.

I will continue fungal treatment until all signs gone and update after orchid bark addition.

Welcome to the club! We're all a little nuts! :confused::D

xirxes

I removed all of the coconut husk, which was quite wet, removed the large water reservoirs as they appear to be over saturating, placed in three bags of the fine grade orchid bark and reset all plants and 3 areas of damp spaghnum.

Hoping this improves whole system.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I removed all of the coconut husk, which was quite wet, removed the large water reservoirs as they appear to be over saturating, placed in three bags of the fine grade orchid bark and reset all plants and 3 areas of damp spaghnum.

Hoping this improves whole system.
If you have to keep adding large quantities of water everyday in a closed system to maintain humidity there is something wrong and you will always end up with a saturated substrate because the water has to go somewhere.
With evaporation from water dishes and spraying your tort twice daily should maintain humidity. Let's see what happens when everything settles down now you've changed a few things.

xirxes

6 day update, don't see much change, but none that didn't have it have gotten it.

Drying them and applying athletes foot cream (turbinifine chloride) each after daily soak. How long does it take to see results visually?

I see a white spot on top of the shell of one, can this be she'll rot too? If so I'm pretty sure that these small ones came with this already happening.

Thanks

0955e74c32f6b1b7e35c587495538630.jpg

b170e8d7b013adbcf81bae10730f4f77.jpg

xirxes

Feels like I'm not getting enough progress so tomorrow I start using chlorhexidine to clean and antifungal on top