Cherry head hatchling growth rate question

xirxes

At what point should I be concerned with a stagnant growth in hatchlings?

3 of my 5 seem to be stalled. For 5 weeks gaining 2-3 grams a week, now no weight added 3 weeks in a row.

The largest two are adding 2 grams per week still.

I put the two smallest in front of soaked mazuri and they mauled it, so they are definitely eating. Should I just keep tracking or should I be concerned?

Thanks.

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Maybe split them up or offer more food and more feeding stations in their setup to avoid bullying.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
At a certain size some will just thrive more than others.
They are also sometimes stunted by bullying if kept together without adequate room. (Redfoot and Cherryhead)
But in general, tortoises of the same age can be different sized.
I would also feed five in at least two feeding areas.

xirxes

Separating them is not an option, as I have a TON of time and design invested in this single enclosure, finally dialed in, plus they don't bully each other, at worst it's a space at the plate issue.

I will add another feeding area, and I will put them on the food when I open up the enclosure each day.

Thanks!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
They grow at different rates, as long as they are eating and are hydrated with no bullying I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
These 2 are from the same clutch, now just over 3 yrs old. 5.5" and 8.5" SCL. They now live with the adults, the little one is the outgoing one and seems to seek out my 12 and 14" adults to lay next too. Sounds mad I know, but she does, point is, she ain't being bullied but grows very slowly. The other is greedy and grows fast.IMG_20170527_103522.jpg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Separating them is not an option, as I have a TON of time and design invested in this single enclosure, finally dialed in, plus they don't bully each other, at worst it's a space at the plate issue.

I will add another feeding area, and I will put them on the food when I open up the enclosure each day.

Thanks!
You definitely need more enclosures or at the least more space anding ares for you tortoises.

xirxes

You definitely need more enclosures or at the least more space anding ares for you tortoises.
I do not agree for the time being. they are ah no more than 2.5" and the enclosure is 3'x5' internal dimensions. They cannot need more room than this right now. the sightlines are broken and man pots/nooks/crannies for them to nestle into.

I will be building them a 10'x15' full outside enclosure in about 4-5" size each.

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
@xirxes Hey not sure if you've shared and I missed it but do you have pics of your indoor enclosure? Not everyone likes to share but if you don't mind Id love to see. I'm learning new things everyday so its the curiousity asking LoL :rolleyes::)

xirxes

I have an outdoor semi-sealed enclosure for the hatchlings.

When outside temps range from 106F-50F and 98-10% humidity my enclosure stays 86F-78F and 96%-60%.

Heating energy is down to .5kW/day, about 5$/month.

The design, build and ongoing tweaks are in a thread in the tortoise enclosure sub forum.

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
I have an outdoor semi-sealed enclosure for the hatchlings.

When outside temps range from 106F-50F and 98-10% humidity my enclosure stays 86F-78F and 96%-60%.

Heating energy is down to .5kW/day, about 5$/month.

The design, build and ongoing tweaks are in a thread in the tortoise enclosure sub forum.
Thanks Ill take a browse!