Check your pens after heavy rains

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Heavy rains that occur early in the morning can have a profound effect on hatchling turtles that are in their nest chambers waiting for an environmental cue to make a break into the real world. The thought is that the rain will dampen the scent trail of juicy little turtles and will also help them avoid desiccation from dry weather. Over the years I have found emerged neonates of numerous native species after a night of soaking rain and this even includes sea turtles. So having tortoises in one's yard or garden that are of breeding potential it pays to be observant after a night of rain.

Yesterday (Sunday) it rained like crazy here in south Florida in the early hours of the day. While out in the yard inspecting things yesterday morning I was not too surprised to find a newly hatched tortoise sitting right out in the open. If there is one, the likelihood of more is pretty good. I think it took me less than ten minutes to find another hatchling hiding under a bunch of leaves not ten feet from the first. I spent the next two hours scouring every inch of my garden for more hatchlings but no more were found.

Once again today it had rained quite heavily during the night and early morning. I had no real expectations of finding any other emerged hatchling tortoises but still, why not take a look? I step into the pen containing my group of Arizona raised cherry-heads and immediately spot a hatchling tucked up against the fence. I run inside to get the camera for an in situ photo. And then I see more...

What the...? There is 3 of them!
DSCN5340_zpsuiixhfcx.jpg

Ground level shot. The lens is fogged from the humidity.
DSCN5342_zpsmkwnvyhs.jpg

I wiped the lens down and then shot this image...
DSCN5344_zpsnrewua71.jpg

Three neonates all in a row, how cool!
But then there was yet another little guy sitting against a Ficus tree in the pen. FOUR!

Here are the four sitting on top of one of the hides immediately after their discovery. In my experience hatchlings that emerge on their own in the yard are extremely shy and retiring unlike the generally fearless ones that hatch in the incubator.
DSCN5345_zpsoirg98um.jpg

That was an exhilarating find for a wet Monday morning. Then I decided to really check the entire pen, including inside the wooden shelters. Believe it or not FOUR more hatchlings!
Here they are in my kitchen sink...
DSCN5346_zpsabygfqty.jpg

One thing you notice about 'wild' hatchlings is that every little crease and wrinkle of their shell provides a lodging place for dirt and debris which no doubt helps them disappear into their environment.
DSCN5347_zpszpbdgtdy.jpg

I told you they are shy.

Plastron variations. There are two females and one male in this group and one of the females (Betty) produces hatchlings with a vibrant sunset orange plastron color.
DSCN5348_zpsd0fei5sy.jpg

I'm pretty sure we have two separate clutches represented here. One from Betty and one from Velma. While digging around the pen I also found two eggs that look to be full term along with the remains of at least two other eggs. Will have to wait and see what comes of them.
Closer look at the variation.
The center hatchling is a Velma baby while the two orange kids on either side are Betty's.
DSCN5349_zpsacu5djzb.jpg

Guess what I'll be doing early tomorrow morning?
Carl
@cdmay. Did these hatchlings seem weeker, stronger or the same compared to artificially incubated torts?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'd say typical. They are still shy but otherwise kicking butt. Very healthy.
If it hadn't have rained, let's say for another 3 days or so, do you think they would have held on for a while longer underground.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Good question. But I don't know.
Makes me wonder how long they can stop under the ground. I know some have said when they hatch out of the ground they seem to be weaker. I assumed this was because of the ascend to surface, but is it? Could it be they have sat underground waiting for rain to come, whilst waiting yolk and fat reserves are used up to the point even if rains don't come they have to rise to the surface or face starvation. Could it be that the minor pyramided torts in the wild were forced to rise without rain(to dry a start). Obviously it's moist whilst under the ground.
If a tort takes let say 7 days to absorb the yolk and it has let's say a further 14 days before it reaches the critical starvation stage there for it could have been sat under the ground for 3 weeks, as long as they get rain anytime in the l last 2 weeks they are good to rise. Maybe even longer, would the eggshell be a source of food underground.
I wonder how long the actual ascend takes.
Just thoughts.