Charlotte_Grace a diary of a tortoise!!!!!

margykid

Hi everyone.I am starting a whole thread on my tortoise, Charlotte Grace, or Charlie for short.
She/he hasn't arrived yet. When she arrives it will be in her prospective but until then I will write this. She will be coming in about 2 weeks. Her cage is 4 foot long. When I say cage, I mean tortoise table. I will add sphagnum moss, cuttle fish bone, hides, bowl for food, bowl for water, substrate, light, UVB, thermometer and food.I.am very excited and can't wait for her to come. She is about 2-3 months old, so very young.I don't have a picture of her but I will post one of a tortoise very alike in looks to her. :):););)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410689895.886547.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Congratulations!!!

I have a very similar type of Mediterranean tortoise. Mine lovesLovesLOVES having lots of live plants in her enclosure! She has ALWAYS preferred to hide under plants instead of under any hides I buy for her. I read on this forum that a well planted enclosure helps them feel secure and reduces stress, and I have sure seen that in my Elsa.
Her favorite place to sleep is under a Boston fern that she has dug herself a half-cave underneath. Live plants also help A LOT in keeping the humidity up.

Have fun with your new baby, and CONGRATULATIONS again!!! :)

margykid

Change of plan!!! We hadn't decided the actual tortoise yet just the species. But now we might be getting a Hermann. I know people say tortoises aren't about money, and there not. But Hermanns are cheaper and I have fallen in love with one tiny runt of a litter.It is just 6 weeks old and I already love it. We haven't bought it but my heart is set on it. :);)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Hermann's are wonderful creatures, and so beautiful.

If I had the choice for my first tortoise baby, I would get the largest or the next largest. I'd choose the bully of the bunch over the victim when that's a choice, the one with the greatest vitality, health and alertness, figuring it would be most likely to thrive. The cute little one is always appealing, but dealing with delicate creatures is hard enough without taking on ones that might need special attention.

Maybe those who rear hatchlings have found that they all grow up the same. But we hear about hatchlings that fail to thrive. So, speaking in a general way as someone who is about ready to stop being a rescuer and try doing things the easy way, choosing the runt isn't always a great idea.

margykid

Hermann's are wonderful creatures, and so beautiful.

If I had the choice for my first tortoise baby, I would get the largest or the next largest. I'd choose the bully of the bunch over the victim when that's a choice, the one with the greatest vitality, health and alertness, figuring it would be most likely to thrive. The cute little one is always appealing, but dealing with delicate creatures is hard enough without taking on ones that might need special attention.

Maybe those who rear hatchlings have found that they all grow up the same. But we hear about hatchlings that fail to thrive. So, speaking in a general way as someone who is about ready to stop being a rescuer and try doing things the easy way, choosing the runt isn't always a great idea.
Ok. I will see what each one is like when I am there.Thanks for the advice.:);)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Change of plan!!! We hadn't decided the actual tortoise yet just the species. But now we might be getting a Hermann. I know people say tortoises aren't about money, and there not. But Hermanns are cheaper and I have fallen in love with one tiny runt of a litter.It is just 6 weeks old and I already love it. We haven't bought it but my heart is set on it. :);)
I have 2 THBs. They're great! They also don't grow as big as Marginated Tortoises, so they don't require as much room.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

margykid

I am getting her on Sunday.:):):;) YEY.
I have ordered coco coir, light,UVB,calcium,sphagnum moss,,half log and some
Other stuff.
I am so excited. I can't wait. But the only thing is the delivery email said they might not arrive till Monday and I get my tortoise on Sunday. What should I do??

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I would substitute just a few things. Maybe some organic topsoil from your yard real quick, and a just a heat bulb for a day??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For several days now I've been trying to make sense out of your subject title - Charlotte_Grace a dairy of a tortoise. It just does not compute. Am I being dense?

margykid

For several days now I've been trying to make sense out of your subject title - Charlotte_Grace a dairy of a tortoise. It just does not compute. Am I being dense?
Oh. Well. It's because when my tortoise(who I was going to call Charlotte Grace) comes this was going to be from her prospective like a diary. Sorry for the confusion. Do you understand now? I was trying to change the title to A diary of a tortoise, but I don't know how.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Diary - Dairy!! Oh, ok, I see it now...I'll fix it for you now that I understand.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
While you're about it, maybe change prospective to perspective. The tortoise that hasn't arrived yet is the prospective critter. Its viewpoint is its perspective. Ain't autocorrect grand? Just had to prevent it from adding apostrophes.

margykid

While you're about it, maybe change prospective to perspective. The tortoise that hasn't arrived yet is the prospective critter. Its viewpoint is its perspective. Ain't autocorrect grand? Just had to prevent it from adding apostrophes.
;):)Ok.

margykid

So today I received one more photo of the Hermanns.
I have no clue which one I'm getting.:);)Less then 3 days. YEY ;)The photo is on the next page.