ceramic tile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markm

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland Oregon
I am working with a rescue for our first RT. I am gathering supplies and when I asked about substrates they mentioned 2/3 of the container being slate. Do many do this and if so, why? If it is indeed a method many use would ceramic tile be a good option as well? I redid my bathroom last year and have several tiles left. They have that slate feel and are of a natural color that would look good but is it something okay do use?

Thank you,

Mark

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I have never heard of this and don't understand why anyone would think that is a good substrate. That said I don't have a Russian, but have been learning about them as I am considering one. They like to burrow, so, not slate would not be good. Now, we do recommend feeding them on a piece of ruffed tile or rock as it helps to keep their beak trimmed. A few other pieces in the enclosure to walk on wouldn't be a bad idea for helping keep nails trimmed, otherwise a good substrate is plain dirt, coconut coir or cypress mulch. I would use dirt and leaf litter or cypress mulch and dirt.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I have seen this done for leopard geckos and bearded dragons but that is not appropriate for any tortoise.

markm

5 Year Member
Portland Oregon
Okay, well I will nix that idea. How about feeding on a ceramic tile? I can certainly get some slate but the tile is nice looking and I have it on hand.

As far as dirt, is it recommended to mix top soil and sand as a good substrate? 2/3 soil 1/3 play sand? There is just so much info out there and I don't know what to go with. At least I know coming from you all, it will be tried and true advice.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Not sure where the 2/3 tile/slate information came from. They should have mostly substrate, 4-6" deep.

They need a warm (basking) and cool end.

Russians do well with a substrate of organic topsoil (ACE or Home Depot, no animal manure if you want to be able to breath, lol) or Coir, which comes most cheaply in bricks (I think one or both of the above stores sells these too). You set them in a bucket and add hot water to rehydrate and the coir expands. I use a combination of the above in my indoor tortoise enclosures.
Cypress mulch (hard to find in the PNW except expensively in pet stores) is nice on top or mixed with the topsoil, too.

You do need some slate, or an up side down piece of ceramic tile, or a paver, in the basking area (to absorb warmth) and also another piece near the basking area for feeding. (the hard surface helps trim the beak). I put a piece of slate or tile on top of a paver to elevate it above the substrate, and like to place a couple of larger stones near the basking tile/slate as the tortoises like to set themselves at an angle to bask sometimes.
You will also want to have some larger stones around the water dish so the tortoise won't drag as much substrate into it, IF they use it (mostly they just mess it up, lol).
So glad you are taking on a tortoise who needs a home!

Status
Not open for further replies.