Central American Wood Turtles

C.H.D Reptiles

I've been wanting to get Central American Wood Turtles. I'm wanting to make a outdoor enclosure (of course half land half water). But I am wanting to fit three so what dimensions would work best? also what plants are best?
I think that for one wood turtle 5 ft. x 5 ft. would work but I think for three I should do something like 10 ft. long x 5 ft. wide. or since I want to get males and females make a 10 ft. long 5 ft. wide enclosure then have a 5 ft. x 5 ft. enclosure? What do y'all think? :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Sounds perfect. They aren't very territorial or aggressive. You will find that they are much more aquatic than you think. I keep ours in a 10'x10' pond with a 10' wide beach and about 2' deep. So the enclosure is 10x12'. However we have somewhere around 10 of them in there of same species. A few other species from same region as well. They do like shade and hanging out on the land from time to time. Cat palms are great, any large leaf shrub that offers good coverage for retreat and keeps them a having a sense of safety works really well for plants. As long they are not toxic.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I have 4 Central American Wood turtles. Two hatchlings and two juveniles. The hatchlings are staying in water most of the time, the juveniles are staying mostly on moist ground with lots of moss. They are inside this winter but I plan on them being in an outdoor habitat in the summer. So far they are eating well. the juveniles are eating mazuri pellets and dried shrimps and the hatchlings are eating bloodworms and reptomin sticks.They are not tame yet, but are captive hatched. They are a lot of fun.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Sounds perfect. They aren't very territorial or aggressive. You will find that they are much more aquatic than you think. I keep ours in a 10'x10' pond with a 10' wide beach and about 2' deep. So the enclosure is 10x12'. However we have somewhere around 10 of them in there of same species. A few other species from same region as well. They do like shade and hanging out on the land from time to time. Cat palms are great, any large leaf shrub that offers good coverage for retreat and keeps them a having a sense of safety works really well for plants. As long they are not toxic.

Can you post pics?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Podocs are also kept In some of these. We keep the funera and manni in the big ponds. Then the pulcherima pulcherima, furrowed, rodgerbarbouri are kept in smaller ponds. Gotta find those pics now

0680405F-AE26-43A0-84F0-C4CD7025D9FC.jpeg E40455BD-C664-49E0-A212-8E46E211DF64.jpeg

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Beautiful setups. Who lives in the last pics? The wood turtles or something else?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
beautiful set ups for your turtles, really cool.