Celery & Radish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hi

Can any tell me if it's ok to feed my Indian Star celery &/or radishes?

I'm not saying I will definitely Feds him these it's just a curious thought I had that's all.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
While not a great food value, yes celery can be eaten. Radish greens are okay too, but not always liked by a lot of tortoises.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Radish greens are a favorite of my tortoises.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
Mine too love radish green and when i give them celery they eat it too :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Celery offers a lot of good fiber, and a surprisingly complete list of other nutrients. The site we often suggest for nutritional values (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2396/2 for celery) has a 'completeness chart' where they show how much a given food fills the USDA recommendations for humans. The more completely the circle is filled in, the more complete the food is. Celery ranks an decent 81%. Turnip greens hit a 90%.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have fed lots of celery to mine, but not radishes. Radishes might be okay, I just haven't had the occasion to feed them any.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe loves radish greens. We eat the radishes.

Because they grow quickly and easily I always sow a load in the flower beds before we go away (behind fences :D) The day we leave I take the fences down and it gives him something extra to browse on. Our neighbours are very good at feeding him, but I always worry :D

redbeef

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Celery offers a lot of good fiber, and a surprisingly complete list of other nutrients. The site we often suggest for nutritional values (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2396/2 for celery) has a 'completeness chart' where they show how much a given food fills the USDA recommendations for humans. The more completely the circle is filled in, the more complete the food is. Celery ranks an decent 81%. Turnip greens hit a 90%.

That's a really cool website! Thanx for posting that :)

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
RE: Celery & Radish

Thank you for all your these will be taken in board. Also many thanks for the website I'm sure this in going to come in handy alot.
:)

mlnauman

5 Year Member
Whidbey Island WA
That is a great site! Thanks!

Madkins007 said:

Status
Not open for further replies.