Caught in the act, might as well smile

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
This is what happens when you leave the hose on….

Image8_zps5297f4fc.jpg

"I'm Batman"

If at first you don't succeed…..

Image6_zps860cd916.jpg

Try...

Image5_zps007f1a09.jpg

And try again.

This is literally my most photogenic turtle. I whip out my phone on this turtle and he/she freezes with a smile.

Image7_zps9b3d658c.jpg

#Shell-fie

Image4_zps6e294c01.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Let me out. Let me out, Let me out. he cry.................

hahahahhahaha...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
OMG!!! WHAT kind of turtle is that??!?! ...it looks like it has hair on its head- is that algae???

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its a snapping turtle! I have two and boy do they have an attitude problem . But they are awesome to work with .

Turtlepete

South Florida
Florida snapping turtle to be specific, Chelydra serpentina osceola. According to the taxonomists the osceala sub-species doesn't exist, but, there is a clear difference between them and the regular C. Serpentina, so most people still seem to recognize them as a sub-species….I guess maybe you could call it a haplotype now…?

Mike, you pretty eloquently summed up snappers :). Definitely an awesome species. I'm both excited for and dreading the day when he/she is an adult.
They can have bad attitudes for sure :).

photo_zpsd953be39.jpg

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I shared the same sentiment on the other forum, Pete! The Florida Snappers really are noticeably different. Makes you wonder if genetics are the only factor in determining taxonomy these days :-/

Turtlepete

South Florida
I shared the same sentiment on the other forum, Pete! The Florida Snappers really are noticeably different. Makes you wonder if genetics are the only factor in determining taxonomy these days :-/

For sure, there are a bit of physical differences. I've seen adults and juvies of both ssp's….The papillae on their neck is the typical way to tell, but the osceola on average seem to have larger heads as well.

Does lead you to wonder just what it is based off of. But honestly, who really cares? Whatever we, the hobbyists, call them, is what they are going to be, to us. :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have a Florida snapper and a Texas snapper the only thing I see different is the tube like things around there heads .

Turtlepete

South Florida
I have a Florida snapper and a Texas snapper the only thing I see different is the tube like things around there heads .

If you have CB animals, you have to consider the possibility of mixing. Being that they aren't recognized, most breeders of snappers very likely mix both sub-species(" "). Basically, I doubt the purity of what breeders may sell as Florida and as "Texas" (I assume you mean common?" snappers. Where-as the wild animals are still "pure", and will display differences.

When you think about the absolutely MASSIVE range of C. Serpentina, it really makes no sense for there not to be sub-species! A little explanation. Picture a species with a massive range, like the snapping turtle. Then say you built a giant wall across the entire thing, effectively cutting it in half. What you will see, after a LONG time, is their characteristics slowly "drifting" apart.
Keep in mind all the things that determine what your going to look like, grow like, etc.. Take two twins and put them on opposite sides of the country, they will likely look different due to exercise , diet, etc.. Environment plays a role in how you look, to varying degrees.
And yada yada yada. Basically, in theory, it makes no sense for there not to be sub-species of C. Serpentina.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
One thing to remember, especially when it comes to re-evaluating genetics...

Oftentimes, one of the steps is to merge everything back together and then re-evaluate all the possible splits. Pelomedusa subrufa is undergoing this exact thing right now. A couple years ago, the 2 recognized subspecies were merged. Now, as they come out the other end, there could be as many as 10-12 recognized subspecies on the 2015 checklist.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for all the explanations. I have a snapper and when I looked at the pictures in this thread I wondered about all the protuberances on the neck. Mine doesn't have them and I thought there was only the alligator and the common. Learn something new every day!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think the snappers in Texas have the hair like tubes because they use them in the muddy water . In Florida snappers they are more rounded off due too the clear cleaner waters . I don't see much difference in the two . My Florida snapping turtles shell is a little lighter in color also .

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
This is what happens when you leave the hose on….

Image8_zps5297f4fc.jpg

"I'm Batman"

If at first you don't succeed…..

Image6_zps860cd916.jpg

Try...

Image5_zps007f1a09.jpg

And try again.

This is literally my most photogenic turtle. I whip out my phone on this turtle and he/she freezes with a smile.

Image7_zps9b3d658c.jpg

#Shell-fie

Image4_zps6e294c01.jpg
does he bite and hiss at you? or is he handle able and friendly ? ive always loved snappers but never wanted to get one if , might lose a finger loll

Turtlepete

South Florida
One thing to remember, especially when it comes to re-evaluating genetics...

Oftentimes, one of the steps is to merge everything back together and then re-evaluate all the possible splits. Pelomedusa subrufa is undergoing this exact thing right now. A couple years ago, the 2 recognized subspecies were merged. Now, as they come out the other end, there could be as many as 10-12 recognized subspecies on the 2015 checklist.

Awesome. Pretty interesting to hear about how they go about the process. One of the things I'd love to lear more about.
Now what I don't understand about that process, is why does it include having to merge the ssp. back into one species officially? Why not just leave it as it is, then separate them into a dozen or so as they are doing with P. Subrufa later on? I guess thats just the way they do things..?

@mike taylor

Thats backwards. The florida, "osceola" sub-species has the pointed "furry" papillae/tubercles on their necks, where-as the common snappers have a more rounded "bumpy" papillae. Where did the theory come from of the use of them? I don't' really understand how it would relate to water quality, but I've never really understood the function of them in the first place.

@IBeenEasy

They can have bad attitudes. If you handle them enough the young can stay tame. I have my doubts any full-grown adults will ever be fully trustworthy. He used to snap at me every time I had to move him around, but I just handled him regularly and now I can pick him up and move him without being snapped at, clawed, etc.. You can "train" them, to an extent, but with adults I would still never lose the caution, else you might lose a finger, haha.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm thinking they are like sensors to detect prey.