Cat vs. tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
so my cat has been getting in to my tortoise enclosure and using it as a litter box! I am very concerned about my tortoise getting sick from the cat are there any diseases that cats can give to tortoises. We are currently training the cat to stay away

daniellenc

Maryland
I would prevent the cat from getting in in the first place.....cats and torts don't mix and injury is eminent. Add a top to the enclosure the cat can't get in.....cats are animals and hunters. Training him to stay away is not going to work. Maybe he'll learn not to do it in front of you but I promise when unattended the impulse will prove too great and at your torts expense.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I think we're looking at this from the wrong point of view . I keep my torts in a enclosure cause I love them . In this day and age I wouldn't let my cat run around cause there are kids with B-B guns , Dogs , wild animals , and people who like birds better then cats and yes my torts .

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Cover your tortoise enclosure securely, and get your cat a litter box. How about that? Simple and effective!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is so interesting. Can we see size comparison pictures of the cat and the tortoise? Is the cat bigger or is the tortoise bigger? If the tortoise is a Russian he is not so big and would be more vulnerable to being injured by the cat.

Kentucky
It's a Russian tortoise <5 inches but the cat does not seem to care about the tortoise she just thinks it's ok to potty in her substrate

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
This is so interesting. Can we see size comparison pictures of the cat and the tortoise? Is the cat bigger or is the tortoise bigger? If the tortoise is a Russian he is not so big and would be more vulnerable to being injured by the cat.

My Russian has our four cats totally under her control; Russians are terrible bullies! But she also doesn't care what they do, so long as they are not in her face.

Accordingly, I support the need for a cover. :)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
What are you using for your substrate? Maybe pick something cats don't like.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Take this from somebody who learned the hard way, once the cat learns that that is a great litter box it is dang near impossible to keep them out without a secure cover. A picture of your enclosure would help people give ideas on how to cover it.

latiat1234

Cover your enclosure with wirings. I had this problem too, I covered her box with some covers and she never bothered again.