Cat and Tortoises?

AliceJ

Hello, im new and was wondering about keeping tortoises and cats in the same house?
I have 2 cats (both 7 years old) and in 2 weeks I will be getting a baby Horsefeild tortoise. I've researched a little, but their isn't much information about how the interact with each other. I hear tortoises are very territorial, but my cats are also. My cats don't even like sharing space with each other and will fight if they see each other. Does anyone have both animals and have any experience with how to handle them? :)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
They're OK in the same house, as long as the kitties can't snatch the tort.

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
I have 2 cats and torts. Like Tiffany said, they're all okay in the same house, as long as the cats can't get to the torts. Granted, my cats don't fight with each other, so I wouldn't be as worried about aggression as I would be with yours. I've had my torts on the ground in their soaking container or sitting out while I clean their enclosure and my cats have gone close enough to sniff them. They were VERY closely supervised though- I was sitting with a hand on the torts basically so I could protect them if need be. My cats turned out to be more scared of the torts than the torts were of the cats actually. I wouldn't recommend letting them all socialize though!

obi420

I've had cats nearly all my life. Right now I have, Mufasa, June, and Mama Cat. When I first brought my tort, Tiny Tim, home the cats didn't notice him. Then one day I let Tim explore the kitchen after a bath and each cat walked right up and sniffed him. Mama Cat was shy and ran away after her sniff. June looked at Tim Inquisitively but just walked away in the end. Mufasa however sniffed all around Tim then Tim hissed at him and Fussy (mufasa) jumped back and the tort hissed a second time but my cat didn't even pay it mind. Fussy actually now comes in our room periodically to peer in his tank. and when I let Tim out Fussy just kinda circles him and looks at me and purrs... I don't why but my cat loves my tort. I wouldn't suggest letting any cats free roam with torts but from expierence and from close observation I know my cat likes my tort A LOT. :)

My advice watch theyre first few interactions and don't introduce your tort to you cat for at least the first week, at least for your torts mental sake.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd make your indoor enclosure a closed chamber with the heating and lighting securely inside the enclosure where the cats can't get to it. Many fires have been started by cats knocking over heat lamps and such.

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
I have an indoor cat that seems totally bored by the russian tort. I don't think he moves fast enough to be entertaining. My cat will sit and watch the fish tanks for hours, but he seems to look at Wilson and say "meeh!" And walk away. Even so, and even with him (cat) not having front claws when we got him, I keep a permanent gate on the door where Wilson's winter enclosure is.

I would've installed the gate even if I didn't have dogs as well as the cat... Even though they are well trained, and I would hope they wouldn't touch the tort, I really don't want to take any chances. The only time any of my other animals are allowed in the room is when I'm in there, too. It's my studio/office, so I spend a lot of time in there, but even if I leave to just grab a drink or something, everyone follows me and the gate gets locked shut.

I'd think cats are a safer bet than dogs, but I'd still recommend caution and "better safe than sorry"

Congrats and enjoy you're new tort!