Carrot and water soaking

rearlpettway

Yea I agree. I'm treating her (since she is a baby) just like I do my toddler & am still trying to reintroduce her to certain things repeatedly, just to be sure.
I did have questions though... I see cactus blooms, so do they eat the cactus pad & the flower from it too? Also, I saw rose leaves, hibiscus leaves & other flower leaves - that means specifically the leaves of the plant/flower but not the petals themselves, correct?
They can eat the cactus blooms, cactus pads, the cactus fruit (tuna), rose leaves, rose flowers, hibiscus leaves, hibiscus flowers.

Mitortuga

Location (City and/or State)
Richardson
Greetings to all, we are new to forum and I wonder if I could boil carrots and soak my tortoise in that water once cool for same benefits?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt it would have enough nutrients in the water to do the same trick the whole, mashed up carrots do.

At any rate, if your animal doesn't have swollen shut eyes, you should not be using the carrot soak. It is only for those animals that need some extra vitamin a and that exhibit swollen shut eyes.

Anakin

Scotland
Actually the nutrients are absorbed through the thin skin on the underside of the neck and the skin around the cloaca. There is a species of water turtle (I think in Australia) that actually "drinks" through the cloaca, but that's the only species that does. I got this information many, many years ago from Dr. Jartchow in Arizona.

I only use the strained carrot/water soaks on babies whose eyes are swollen shut and are not eating. It does no good at all to use it on a healthy baby.
Can I ask how quickly you tend to see an improvement after this treatment and how many days you would do it for before seeking veterinary assistance? Reptile vet is very far away and currently in lockdown ☹️