Can't tell if my new RT is adjusting well.

Tanha

Location (City and/or State)
PA, USA
So I've had my RT, Harriet, since Tuesday night. She was pretty active Wed, but has slept quite a bit yesterday and today. She eats whenever there is food around her so that's good I'm assuming. Is she just a sleepy tortoise? I was told she was around 4 years old, but others here have said she looks older. We gave her a soak last night and she only urinated, but she had a bowel movement the day before in her house. I don't know how often they go! Since I got her from people who just wanted to get rid of her I don't have a lot of info on how her life was before us. She ate once a week, I think got a soak once or twice a month. No uvb light or any supplements. Just hay and romaine lettuce. She buries herself in the hay at night, which I'm thinking is normal too. We still have to get a good substrate situation for her, we're just using what they had so far. I've fed her a little bit every day, but today. I don't want her to get sick eating way more than she's used to. I have yet to see her use the water ramp/dish they gave us and used with her. I'm thinking we should soak more often, till we get a terra cotta saucer. Right?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Soaks daily would be a good idea for a couple of weeks. It will take her a while to adjust. I don't think I would worry about too much food. I would offer a huge variety of weeds, as much really good stuff as she will eat.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Water ramp needs removed. Flipping hazard. Wait for the saucer. Big enough that she can wall in. If the temps aren't warm enough( or too hot for that matter)a tortoise won't be active buy new surroundings will cause Scittish behavior too.