Can't poop?

BabyElsie

Hello. So my leopard tort has postured a few time in the last week or less and I have placed her in a water soak a few times and nothing. She has eaten and when I took her outside she walks and grazes. I have attached a picture of her "posturing". She's bright and alert. I don't have cucumber or pumpkin. I'm looking into changing her diet and getting better at what she needs. Can they eat aloe? Sorry I know it's a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_5143.JPG
    IMG_5143.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 27

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Hi lovely little leopard you got there:)
Yes they can eat aloe vera. It would be good for loosening the stool up but she could be straining for different reasons. How long do you have her? Is she a rescue? Please tell us about her enclosure and it's temperature/humidity. And are you sure that she is a she:)?
It's not obvious that she has a problem with poop. It can be bladder stones or eggs that she is trying to get out. Try soaking her daily at least for 30 even 60 minutes in a lurk warm water, just check the water temperature so it will not be too cold. You can try feeding succulents, cactus and aloe for constipation. In severe cases add medical grade paraffin oil on the food to lubricate things up. Keep an eye on her bottom because she might develop a prolapse.
I would give her a week more and if nothing changes went to a Vet to see what's going on.
Good luck:)

BabyElsie

Thank you. So a little more information on her. I've attached a picture of her enclosure which is a beautiful table. It's about 3' x 5 and she has an assortment of UV lights and heat lamps. My apartment always stays at 75-ish. I have had her since she was a hatchling, I got her from Dr. Elliot Jacobson, from his private collection. When I got her his team guaranteed me 97% that it was a female because of the research they had done about determining/ controlling the sex of the animals while in incubation/with incubation. I have been moderating her urination and that seems to be happening still. She's not pastoring often and I have been looking for prolapse. (use to be a vet tech for large animal so I look for the worst haha) what can I do to make her humanity better? We live in the mountains right now but will be heading back to Florida soon which will be great for her. I will try to soak her every day and feed her some aloe today, I do know that she hasn't pooped in what seems longer than usual. I'm embarrassed to say that I have been so busy finishing up school and working two jobs that I had not noticed since the last time she had. Thanks for all the help and input.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First the incubation temps does not guarantee a female. It only gives a possible better chance. Only guarantee of it being female is a medical procedure being done.
Second, what are the actual temps and humidity? Your house being 75 does not help us. S/he needs 80 temps all over, 95-100 basking in order to properly digest food and will stop eating if they can't bask under those temps and 80% humidity. If under two years old a daily warm soak is needed. Be sure to measure temps and humidity at tortoise height.
Also, none of my tortoises do what you are calling posturing when they poop. They just poop whether laying or standing. Never heard of the posturing being a sign of anything. Some tortoises just does that position for no reason.

Kasia

Poland
Mine Nini has exactly same pose when he is pooping but he is male and does similar stuff when he's masturbating. When he was younger it worried me because I thought he was straining... and he was just trying to get his boy parts out... I agree on the temperature with @wellington. Still she looks well taken care of, has a nice shell, barley pyramided etc...Can you get a pic of its plastron?

BabyElsie

Thank you. I am working on getting better at watching these things. How do you create a. Humid enviro on a table? Which gauges are good to tell the levels. I'm wanting to create a better diet and housing for her.

First the incubation temps does not guarantee a female. It only gives a possible better chance. Only guarantee of it being female is a medical procedure being done.
Second, what are the actual temps and humidity? Your house being 75 does not help us. S/he needs 80 temps all over, 95-100 basking in order to properly digest food and will stop eating if they can't bask under those temps and 80% humidity. If under two years old a daily warm soak is needed. Be sure to measure temps and humidity at tortoise height.
Also, none of my tortoises do what you are calling posturing when they poop. They just poop whether laying or standing. Never heard of the posturing being a sign of anything. Some tortoises just does that position for no reason.

BabyElsie

Huh Well I can get you a picture when I get home. She is about 5 now. When I first got her I was told to keep her on paper and then her shell started pier amid in some and then I started to learn about better substrate and all the new studies they were figuring out what caused it. I wish it was a bit smoother but I'm happy that at least stopped, I hope. Lol. Try really hard to make sure she's well taken care of but everybody has an opinion of what she should be eating and such so I'm trying. I'm going to buy a hibiscus plant for leaves and maybe start keeping some succulents and think she can eat that I can grow. I'm really interested in how to make your home warmer and better but with the table like that I can't seem to picture how to keep heat and humidity evenly distributed in such an open area. Any advice?

Mine Nini has exactly same pose when he is pooping but he is male and does similar stuff when he's masturbating. When he was younger it worried me because I thought he was straining... and he was just trying to get his boy parts out... I agree on the temperature with @wellington. Still she looks well taken care of, has a nice shell, barley pyramided etc...Can you get a pic of its plastron?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old big is she?
Up to at least 2 years of age a closed chamber is the best. After that a humid hide with some daily spraying of the rest of the enclosure will do. If you keep her outside during the day, then you could do a humid enclosure just for night.
With 80% humidity, temps should not go below 80.
With a humid hide, the hide temp should be 80 with 80% humidity.

Kasia

Poland
Thank you. I am working on getting better at watching these things. How do you create a. Humid enviro on a table? Which gauges are good to tell the levels. I'm wanting to create a better diet and housing for her.
How old is she? She looks grown enough to live full time outdoors...so she doesn't need as much humidity as a little leopard. Night time humid hide yes, soaking yes, but not full time closed chamber. I would try to adjust the temperature though. They like it warm. And what is your substrate? Hay isn't the best one, organic soil mixed with coco coir is what I use. It retains humidity and provides stable bedding, other members will give their best options though.. :). How often does she get an outside time?

BabyElsie

She is about five now, I do plan to let her live outdoors more often once I move back to Florida. Right now I live in an apartment complex and I'm a little weird about letting her out and eating considering I'm not sure how they maintain the grass. She is on a exo terra plantation soil for tropical terrarium substrate. I just joined this group not long ago but I'm sure everyone will help the best I can! And I really appreciate that. She goes outside not as often as I like but again I don't get home till later in the evening's and I live in the mountains so it hasn't been quite warm enough in the afternoons to put her out and the whole living in the apartment complex thing. Lol

QUOTE="Kasia, post: 1506417, member: 69915"]How old is she? She looks grown enough to live full time outdoors...so she doesn't need as much humidity as a little leopard. Night time humid hide yes, soaking yes, but not full time closed chamber. I would try to adjust the temperature though. They like it warm. And what is your substrate? Hay isn't the best one, organic soil mixed with coco coir is what I use. It retains humidity and provides stable bedding, other members will give their best options though.. :). How often does she get an outside time?[/QUOTE]

BabyElsie

She is almost 5 now. All that information is very helpful and I will start working on adjusting the humidity and warming her whole space

How old big is she?
Up to at least 2 years of age a closed chamber is the best. After that a humid hide with some daily spraying of the rest of the enclosure will do. If you keep her outside during the day, then you could do a humid enclosure just for night.
With 80% humidity, temps should not go below 80.
With a humid hide, the hide temp should be 80 with 80% humidity.

Kasia

Poland
Your substrate sounds good, all you need to do is give her more overall heat, add a CHE or another heat lamp in the other end of her table. Also she is a full grown leopard so you should think on giving her even more space. Mine leo that's about 1,2 kg has 2 m x 2m indoor enclosure and when I'm home the whole yard. Yours looks bigger and should have even more walking space. More walking, grazing and higher activity will have direct influence on her bowl movements. That's how they are created. I understand your concerns about the grass in the apartment complex. It could be tainted with all kinds of pesticides/chemicals. Do you have maybe some sort of a balcony to give her some daily sunlight and stretch her legs?

BabyElsie

WE HAVE POOP!!! I have been misting her table, soaking and long walks outside! Thank you guys so much. I will keep working on improving her diet, lighting and humidity!