Can you recommend me the best lighting set up?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
I want to know whats a good set up for a tortoise. No budget I Just want to know what the best lights are for tortoise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It depends on the species of tortoise.

Forest dwellers like RedFoot do best with a UVB tube (use a timer) and a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat. The CHE only gives off heat and no light. The thermostat ensures that the enclosure stays at a steady temperature day and night. These species don't bask, but need constant warmth.

Grassland species (eg Testudo, Sulcatas, Leopards) must bask.

They need a basking lamp hung vertically with a temperature of 95-100F / 35-37C directly underneath. This must be on for 12-14 hours a day. They also need UVB. Timers make life simpler.

A Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) will provide both basking heat and UVB, but the UVB output drops off dramatically after 6-9 months, long before the bulb blows, so it must be replaced regularly.

Alternatively, you can use a separate basking bulb and UVB tube fitting like the one used for forest species. UVB tube fittings last a long time.

If ambient and/or night temperatures are a problem then use a CHE with a thermostat as earlier.

Do not use

1. Clamp fittings
They are unreliable and a fire risk if they fail. Hang light fittings from a stand.

2. Compact CFL UVB
These look an easy alternative to long tube UVB, but they have a bad record for hurting tort eyes.

3. Coloured bulbs
Your tort needs complete darkness at night. These bulbs colour tank decor and torts see coloured food as tasty; too often we hear of torts getting sick having eaten substrate or decor coloured red or purple by one of these bulbs. If you need night heat then use a CHE.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
It depends on the species of tortoise.

Forest dwellers like RedFoot do best with a UVB tube (use a timer) and a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat. The CHE only gives off heat and no light. The thermostat ensures that the enclosure stays at a steady temperature day and night. These species don't bask, but need constant warmth.

Grassland species (eg Testudo, Sulcatas, Leopards) must bask.

They need a basking lamp hung vertically with a temperature of 95-100F / 35-37C directly underneath. This must be on for 12-14 hours a day. They also need UVB. Timers make life simpler.

A Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) will provide both basking heat and UVB, but the UVB output drops off dramatically after 6-9 months, long before the bulb blows, so it must be replaced regularly.

Alternatively, you can use a separate basking bulb and UVB tube fitting like the one used for forest species. UVB tube fittings last a long time.

If ambient and/or night temperatures are a problem then use a CHE with a thermostat as earlier.

Do not use

1. Clamp fittings
They are unreliable and a fire risk if they fail. Hang light fittings from a stand.

2. Compact CFL UVB
These look an easy alternative to long tube UVB, but they have a bad record for hurting tort eyes.

3. Coloured bulbs
Your tort needs complete darkness at night. These bulbs colour tank decor and torts see coloured food as tasty; too often we hear of torts getting sick having eaten substrate or decor coloured red or purple by one of these bulbs. If you need night heat then use a CHE.

what brand of bulb do you recommend for a hermans? i have a 70 watt UVB and heat lamp but he tends to wonder a lot around the enclosure I was wondering if adding just a tube that emit uvb help?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your bulb sounds like a Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) - the one that needs changing regularly.

What temperatures do you have in the enclosure? There are 4 important ones - warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

How big is the floor area of the enclosure?
How big is your tortoise? Here's how to measure Straight Carapace Length
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

Your tort is most likely roaming due to it being warm and due to the enclosure being too small.

Photos of the enclosure and lighting will help us to spot any problems

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Your bulb sounds like a Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) - the one that needs changing regularly.

What temperatures do you have in the enclosure? There are 4 important ones - warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

How big is the floor area of the enclosure?
How big is your tortoise? Here's how to measure Straight Carapace Length
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

Your tort is most likely roaming due to it being warm and due to the enclosure being too small.

Photos of the enclosure and lighting will help us to spot any problems

120x58 enclosure

http://imgur.com/a/BQsVw

He has been spending a lot of time inside his hide and won't come out to bask or eat unless i take him out. He is only 10 months old and the temps of the hot side is 30-35 and in a hot day it is 40 c as for the cold side usually 23. I was thinking of getting a ceramic heat emitter.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi there.
Coiled bulbs are also known to cause eye problems so avoid those too.
I use an Arcadia MVB bulb for daytime and a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) at night (run through a thermostat to keep the temps even), because they just give heat and no light so it is nice and dark for my tort. I also use them together in the winter to help keep the temps up in his room.
My tort is a leopard so the temps needed are different; the caresheet will advise you on temps for your species.
Your enclosure looks a bit small and sparse.
Some plants may help him feel less exposed and give him some security from what he regards as predators.
They will also help with humidity but that will be difficult to maintain in a cage.
Spider plants are used by many, but www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants.
If shop bought repot in chemical free soil and allow time for any sprays/fertilisers that may have been used on them to grow out.
If you then sink the pot in the substrate it will be easy to swap them over if they get eaten or bulldozed.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Hi there.
Coiled bulbs are also known to cause eye problems so avoid those too.
I use an Arcadia MVB bulb for daytime and a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) at night (run through a thermostat to keep the temps even), because they just give heat and no light so it is nice and dark for my tort. I also use them together in the winter to help keep the temps up in his room.
My tort is a leopard so the temps needed are different; the caresheet will advise you on temps for your species.
Your enclosure looks a bit small and sparse.
Some plants may help him feel less exposed and give him some security from what he regards as predators.
They will also help with humidity but that will be difficult to maintain in a cage.
Spider plants are used by many, but www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants.
If shop bought repot in chemical free soil and allow time for any sprays/fertilisers that may have been used on them to grow out.
If you then sink the pot in the substrate it will be easy to swap them over if they get eaten or bulldozed.

what size of enclosure would you recommend? its a 120 x 58 he rarely goes to the slate side of the enclosure. I'm growing him different types of plants that i'm planning on putting in the enclosure. How long do you think the fertilisers will take to leave the plant after repoting?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
what size of enclosure would you recommend? its a 120 x 58 he rarely goes to the slate side of the enclosure. I'm growing him different types of plants that i'm planning on putting in the enclosure. How long do you think the fertilisers will take to leave the plant after repoting?
I was advised to wait a few months at least. Some people use artificial plants to add interest and cover but you will need to keep an eye on him to make sure he isn't nibbling those.
How big is your tort in comparison to the enclosure? I couldn't see him in there.
Torts are wandering creatures so the bigger the better really.
4 x 8 foot is usually recommended as the minimum - but that may for slightly older and bigger torts.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
I was advised to wait a few months at least. Some people use artificial plants to add interest and cover but you will need to keep an eye on him to make sure he isn't nibbling those.
How big is your tort in comparison to the enclosure? I couldn't see him in there.
Torts are wandering creatures so the bigger the better really.
4 x 8 foot is usually recommended as the minimum - but that may for slightly older and bigger torts.

haven't measured him yet but my tortoise weighs 90 grams and is about 10 months old.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tiny at the moment. A small floor area is fine just now. I think the temperatures may not be what you think they are - probably too hot. What type of thermometer are you using? A temperature gun type thermometer like this is most accurate.

From your pictures I can see that you have an open top to the enclosure. This isn't good for a baby. They need a closed chamber so the humidity and temperatures can be regulated properly.

I recommend that you read this about the care of Baby Testudo and compare it with your setup
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Tiny at the moment. A small floor area is fine just now. I think the temperatures may not be what you think they are - probably too hot. What type of thermometer are you using? A temperature gun type thermometer like this is most accurate.

From your pictures I can see that you have an open top to the enclosure. This isn't good for a baby. They need a closed chamber so the humidity and temperatures can be regulated properly.

I recommend that you read this about the care of Baby Testudo and compare it with your setup
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

I'm using this thermometer
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exo-Terra-...6731191&sr=8-1&keywords=exo+terra+thermometer

I have this MVB https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Min...8&qid=1496731283&sr=1-10&keywords=trixie+mini

It came with the wooden enclosure I got him with.

Do you think that if I buy this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0006L11CO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
Will it be better for him? more uvb across the enclosure.