Can the shell get softer over a 48 hour period?

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
Do his eyes look okay to you? I don't have any reason to be concerned about them right now but I've been reading threads and people have mentioned their tortoises eyes and sickness etc. Overall, does he look good?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505851398.380987.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505851414.491942.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505851426.095384.jpg

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Happy Friday and good evening everyone!!

Well... got some tort toys in the mail tonight. Put the battery in to the thermostat and unpacked some of the other things... I'm guessing the difference in the two temps/humidity percentage is from kitchen to enclosure.

I still have yet to make the "lid" for his enclosure so I've been spraying it down 3-4 times a day... hoping for now these readings are sufficient.

Hoping to have that lid done on Monday (big weekend with my son's 6th birthday party Sunday afternoon, and did I mention I work 52 hours a week??)

How much and when do I feed this food and how do I prep it? Also this heater bulb didn't come with instructions, just the pieces (suction cups etc.) I don't know what I was expecting but I sort of thought it was all attached and I could control the temp? It's not. I realize I sound like a complete moron here, I assure you I do have a decent IQ LOL :) but that's why I'm here and I have you guys :) ughhhh.... I'm such a terrible newbie

Oh and I bought a new container for soaks, one that he cannot see out of. Thanks for the advice on that btw. Will put it to use tomorrow.

I'm ordering some seeds off of a site Tom recommended, hopefully I'll do alright with that considering I can't keep a plant alive to save my life... but I know I have to do it because being in the Midwest- not happening naturally in the yard.

Help! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506131844.553346.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506131863.783611.jpg

Last edited:

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Happy Friday and good evening everyone!!

Well... got some tort toys in the mail tonight. Put the battery in to the thermostat and unpacked some of the other things... I'm guessing the difference in the two temps/humidity percentage is from kitchen to enclosure.

I still have yet to make the "lid" for his enclosure so I've been spraying it down 3-4 times a day... hoping for now these readings are sufficient.

Hoping to have that lid done on Monday (big weekend with my son's 6th birthday party Sunday afternoon, and did I mention I work 52 hours a week??)

How much and when do I feed this food and how do I prep it? Also this heater bulb didn't come with instructions, just the pieces (suction cups etc.) I don't know what I was expecting but I sort of thought it was all attached and I could control the temp? It's not. I realize I sound like a complete moron here, I assure you I do have a decent IQ LOL :) but that's why I'm here and I have you guys :) ughhhh.... I'm such a terrible newbie

Oh and I bought a new container for soaks, one that he cannot see out of. Thanks for the advice on that btw. Will put it to use tomorrow.

I'm ordering some seeds off of a site Tom recommended, hopefully I'll do alright with that considering I can't keep a plant alive to save my life... but I know I have to do it because being in the Midwest- not happening naturally in the yard.

Help! View attachment 219092View attachment 219093

Okay guys. I'm at a loss... temps are lower with the new bulb and it's harder to keep the humidity higher.

Also an update. Concerned about peanut. Appetite is declining as well as energy levels. This is how it started with Duke... and it was a very rapid decline. :(

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Okay guys. I'm at a loss... temps are lower with the new bulb and it's harder to keep the humidity higher.

Also an update. Concerned about peanut. Appetite is declining as well as energy levels. This is how it started with Duke... and it was a very rapid decline. :(

Hi Jenni,

Sorry to hear about your Peanut. I haven't been keeping up on your latest posts and pictures. I would use that CHE in your left hand to warm up the enclosure. Keep it 85F min for a bit.

Any chance you can post a picture from afar that shows the entire setup?

It looks like you're putting in quite a bit of effort, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

Also, how much do you handle Peanut? I know they can get stressed when this young.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

What all is in there now?

1. You need the CHE (the black one in your pic) set on a thermostat to maintain ambient 24/7.
2. A basking bulb set on a timer for about 12-13 hours. Adjust the height to get the correct temp under it.
3. A tube type florescent UV bulb. Many types to choose from depending on several factors.
4. This one is optional, but its a good idea to run a full spectrum florescent tube just to make thing looks bright and "sunny" during the day.

If your temps aren't warm enough, then you need more wattage or more bulbs. Some people need to run two CHEs to maintain temps. Both can run off of one thermostat. With an open top, it will be very difficult to maintain the correct temps and humidity. When you start running enough heat to keep temps up, it will dry things out. As things dry out (evaporation…), everything cools which requires more heat. You need a closed chamber.

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Tomorrow's project is enclosing everything. I have a temporary set up that was sort of working until I started the CHE.

He's handled everyday, but only for his soak. The past 48 hours it's been to dig him out of the moss and put him in his food.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506388916.455696.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506388931.301742.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506388942.854557.jpg

Jenni

Tortoise Club
I've only had the new bulb in for a few hours. I took the temp/humidity gauge out because I was cleaning up poops and stuff so that's why the temp differences are so off.

I was planning on changing everything tomorrow, Peanut's decline isn't related to the bulb/humidity change today but I know it's absolutely not helping. I think I'm gonna switch back to the old heat source for tonight and hopefully the project goes smoothly tomorrow.

He's eating but not as vigorously and he won't touch that Mazuri. I tried soaking it and breaking it up but he's not interested so far.

Jenni

Tortoise Club
What all is in there now?

1. You need the CHE (the black one in your pic) set on a thermostat to maintain ambient 24/7.
2. A basking bulb set on a timer for about 12-13 hours. Adjust the height to get the correct temp under it.
3. A tube type florescent UV bulb. Many types to choose from depending on several factors.
4. This one is optional, but its a good idea to run a full spectrum florescent tube just to make thing looks bright and "sunny" during the day.

If your temps aren't warm enough, then you need more wattage or more bulbs. Some people need to run two CHEs to maintain temps. Both can run off of one thermostat. With an open top, it will be very difficult to maintain the correct temps and humidity. When you start running enough heat to keep temps up, it will dry things out. As things dry out (evaporation…), everything cools which requires more heat. You need a closed chamber.

Alright, so I already see an issue. I thought I was replacing the basking bulb with the CHE.

How do I set this on a thermostat to maintain ambient? And I'm sorry, and thank you so much for being patient with me, but exactly what does "ambient" mean in the tort world? :(

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I've only had the new bulb in for a few hours. I took the temp/humidity gauge out because I was cleaning up poops and stuff so that's why the temp differences are so off.

I was planning on changing everything tomorrow, Peanut's decline isn't related to the bulb/humidity change today but I know it's absolutely not helping. I think I'm gonna switch back to the old heat source for tonight and hopefully the project goes smoothly tomorrow.

He's eating but not as vigorously and he won't touch that Mazuri. I tried soaking it and breaking it up but he's not interested so far.
I've heard from many keepers that their tortoises wouldn't eat Mazuri LS. I use the original version. I could send you a small amount of the original if you'd like to try it.

Have you figured out peanut's favorite food yet (hibiscus flowers?) I'd try to give more of his favorites until he eats more.

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Hi Jenni,

Sorry to hear about your Peanut. I haven't been keeping up on your latest posts and pictures. I would use that CHE in your left hand to warm up the enclosure. Keep it 85F min for a bit.

Any chance you can post a picture from afar that shows the entire setup?

It looks like you're putting in quite a bit of effort, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

Also, how much do you handle Peanut? I know they can get stressed when this young.

Thank you... As I mentioned, I'm making the lid tomorrow to keep him enclosed properly... I know what I have now is not sufficient. I did post some photos, per your request, a few minutes ago but I'm not sure where they ended up. I'm on here from my phone and I'm not used to the forum via cell yet.

He's handled everyday but only for his soaks. I've been handling him more very recently to put him in his food. He's eating, just not as vigorously and he won't touch the Mazuri ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506391138.694217.jpg