Can someone with experience offer help?

Rhoen1

Hi :) I'm new to tortoises, despite knowing my way around turtles. I've fallen in love with sulcatas, but I live in CANADA. I've found the roughly 95sqft I have to keep one in, and my mom is considering it. In the mean time, I had a few questions I couldn't find answers for.
1) It can reach -35 in my area at night, and I'm in an attic. I've seen many people with heaters in wooden boxes, how many would I need to keep it comfortable?
2) Can a sulcatas have too much room? If I get one, it will be in spring, and likely a younger one. Turtles get overwhelmed and stressed by large enclosures, do sulcatas?
3) what are some hide options? I've seen people use dog crates or what appears to be Rubbermaid bins and litter boxes, are there others?

Thanks so much in advance! :) I'll keep you up to date.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.
1. Only your thermometer can answer this.
2. No. I start hatchlings in 4x8 closed chambers. My young adults are in a 7000 sq. pen.
3. Easiest to build your own hide boxes.

Who told you that you only need 95 sq. ft. for a sulcata? That is enough room for a small one, but not an adult. You will need a large room for an adult and you will have to keep it warm, like tropical Africa warm, all year long.

Any species can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time, money and effort. Do you have the time, money, space and ability to keep a 100 pound tropical animal in a cold climate. You know they eat and poop as much as a small horse, right?

Rhoen1

I know, I was just wondering roughly. What kind of heater do you use?
Ok. Sounds good, and while I was reading up I kept seeing 100sqft as the space required. Once or twice I saw as low as 80sqft. I know it will be tough, but that's why I'm researching first :) I'm trying to decide if I can provide what is needed for such a wonderful, yet large animal :)
ETA: I only plan on keeping one in that space.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know, I was just wondering roughly. What kind of heater do you use?
Ok. Sounds good, and while I was reading up I kept seeing 100sqft as the space required. Once or twice I saw as low as 80sqft. I know it will be tough, but that's why I'm researching first :) I'm trying to decide if I can provide what is needed for such a wonderful, yet large animal :)

Mine live outside in large enclosures because we have 80-90 degree days here in January sometimes. Even the cold days are in the 60's and usually sunny.

I use heated night boxes:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

In my opinion 80-100 sq feet is far too small for even an adolescent sulcata tortoise. I keep my 8-12" juveniles in a 1,200 sq ft. enclosure that's roughly 35x35'. My adults are in a 7000 square ft. enclosure.
Seen here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-expansion.38788/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/

Keeping them in a 10x10' space for an entire frozen winter does not seem like a good idea to me. Sounds great for any of the Testudo species. Plus those could hibernate all winter anyway.

Rhoen1

Yeah. I see what you mean, although this would be an indoor enclosure, so I'd like to keep them from hibernation.
The enclosure I want to build would be L shaped, 8.5ft by 6.4 and 7 by 5.6.
That's the biggest I can reasonably fit, but looking at it, its very small for a 2.5ft animal. So, what species would work in that space? Can you suggest for my climate? I had been thinking Greek or Hermann, to way overshoot their requirements.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So, what species would work in that space? Can you suggest for my climate? I had been thinking Greek or Hermann, to way overshoot their requirements.

Any of the Testudo species. Greek, hermanni, russian or marginated. Being temperate species they will also be more suited to handle the seasonal temperature and light swings. You don't have to hibernate, but you really ought to. Its better for them in my experience.

Rhoen1

Ok :) thanks for all of your help. Ill look into those in the morning. One day, perhaps I'll get a sulcata. Have a nice day!