Can I put a mvb on a timer

Location (City and/or State)
Central Kentucky
Yes. Absolutely.

You shouldn't use them on a dimmer switch or rheostat. Nor on a thermostat.
Ok thank you! Could u recommend bulb brand and wattage. Is your Russian adult care sheet correct? I plan on using it for my first Russian. As per your advice on a previous post of mine on here. I'm going to build a bigger table soon and get a adult 4" or so?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thank you! Could u recommend bulb brand and wattage. Is your Russian adult care sheet correct? I plan on using it for my first Russian. As per your advice on a previous post of mine on here. I'm going to build a bigger table soon and get a adult 4" or so?

I prefer to use regular incandescent flood bulbs for basking, regular florescent tubes for lighting up the whole enclosure, and then an additional florescent tube for UV. Regular 10.0 tubes work well but have to be mounted 10-12" above the tortoise. The newer "HO" type bulbs work well from higher distances.

I'm no longer a fan of the MVBs because they run too hot, burn out too soon, and at least some of them are only producing UV for 3 months, even if the bulb still works. They aren't dangerous as long as they are mounted at the correct height, but they aren't the best option in my experience. If someone wants just one bulb on a timer and nothing else, then these can work. Just realize that your tortoise isn't getting any UV after 3 months. If your tortoise is outside getting sunshine for most of the year, then this is probably fine. If your tortoise is indoors 8-9 months a year due to weather, then the tubes might serve you better.

Central Kentucky
I prefer to use regular incandescent flood bulbs for basking, regular florescent tubes for lighting up the whole enclosure, and then an additional florescent tube for UV. Regular 10.0 tubes work well but have to be mounted 10-12" above the tortoise. The newer "HO" type bulbs work well from higher distances.

I'm no longer a fan of the MVBs because they run too hot, burn out too soon, and at least some of them are only producing UV for 3 months, even if the bulb still works. They aren't dangerous as long as they are mounted at the correct height, but they aren't the best option in my experience. If someone wants just one bulb on a timer and nothing else, then these can work. Just realize that your tortoise isn't getting any UV after 3 months. If your tortoise is outside getting sunshine for most of the year, then this is probably fine. If your tortoise is indoors 8-9 months a year due to weather, then the tubes might serve you better.

So I will do what u recommend.

Central Kentucky
So I will do what u recommend.
Should I only use the uv light when he can't go outside?(winter) I'm going to sun him everyday and bring him in at night and when we leave. And where do I put the regular floresent light? Should I hang it overhead in middle of inclosure? at recommend height and will that be from shell or substrate? And what kind of timer should I get for this lightning set up? I looked at lowes today wasn't sure I know a digital and now a multiple outlet? Or would you recommend a surge protector plugged into timer? I hope all my questions are ok.
Thanks again

Central Kentucky
Should I only use the uv light when he can't go outside?(winter) I'm going to sun him everyday and bring him in at night and when we leave. And where do I put the regular floresent light? Should I hang it overhead in middle of inclosure? at recommend height and will that be from shell or substrate? And what kind of timer should I get for this lightning set up? I looked at lowes today wasn't sure I know a digital and now a multiple outlet? Or would you recommend a surge protector plugged into timer? I hope all my questions are ok.
Thanks again
Never mind about from shell or substrate question. U already answered I just spaced on that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks again

I just set up and run my indoor enclosure as if the tortoise will be in it all the time. On nice days, I put them outside for sun and click the lights off.

The regular florescent should just be hug up over the middle of the enclosure.

The digital timers at the hardware store will work. If your timer has enough outlets for your lights then you won't need the strip. If not, using the strip is fine. Most strips have a surge protector built in.

Central Kentucky
I just set up and run my indoor enclosure as if the tortoise will be in it all the time. On nice days, I put them outside for sun and click the lights off.

The regular florescent should just be hug up over the middle of the enclosure.

The digital timers at the hardware store will work. If your timer has enough outlets for your lights then you won't need the strip. If not, using the strip is fine. Most strips have a surge protector built in.
Ok ty how high do the walls need to be of the enclosure and how deep should the substrate be for an adult Russian ? I'm seriously thinking about an L shaped table would I only need the lighting set up that you recommend or do I need more lights for a bigger table ? Oh yeah and we're do I put uvb tube light can I put next to regular one? Once again thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok ty how high do the walls need to be of the enclosure and how deep should the substrate be for an adult Russian ? I'm seriously thinking about an L shaped table would I only need the lighting set up that you recommend or do I need more lights for a bigger table ? Oh yeah and we're do I put uvb tube light can I put next to regular one? Once again thank you
I would make the walls at least 12 inches taller than the substrate. So with 6" of substrate, you'd need 18" tall walls, for example.

"L" shaped tables are great!

The lighting set up I recommend would be fine. You can add more lights if it seems dim, or leave it as is if it seems okay to to you.

The UV bulb can be mounted right next to the other tube, or you can put one bulb on each leg of the "L" too if you like. Its not critical and it will work either way.

Central Kentucky
I would make the walls at least 12 inches taller than the substrate. So with 6" of substrate, you'd need 18" tall walls, for example.

The lighting set up I recommend would be fine. You can add more lights if it seems dim, or leave it as is if it seems okay to to you.

The UV bulb can be mounted right next to the other tube, or you can put one bulb on each leg of the "L" too if you like. Its not critical and it will work either way.
Ok good deal thanks so much! oh yeah I'm definitely doing an L-shaped table ironically seems like it's gonna be a lot easier to do it now lol

Central Kentucky

Hi I have another question for you I think I read somewhere I could use aquarium hoods for the fluorescent tubes is that correct ?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
That's what i use for mine, you just have to check the wattage ratings because sometimes the aquarium lights can only handle a low wattage especially when you get to the 3 and 4 foot bars.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I have another question for you I think I read somewhere I could use aquarium hoods for the fluorescent tubes is that correct ?

Yes. Absolutely. As long as the fixture in the hood is the correct type for the bulb you wish to use, it will work fine. I'm using a couple of those right now.

The HO tubes need a different fixture than "standard" tubes.

Central Kentucky
Yes. Absolutely. As long as the fixture in the hood is the correct type for the bulb you wish to use, it will work fine. I'm using a couple of those right now.

The HO tubes need a different fixture than "standard" tubes.
When you say the high output tubes need a different fixture than the regular ones does that mean I cannot use a aquarium hood for the HO tubes? And also I went to find a flood lamp yesterday they had all different kinds Hollidge and reflector ones heat ones I had no idea which one to get. Could you tell me which one? Also which one would u recommend the HO or regular?And where could I get the lamp for a HO tube? Thanks a bunch going out today to look.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you say the high output tubes need a different fixture than the regular ones does that mean I cannot use a aquarium hood for the HO tubes? And also I went to find a flood lamp yesterday they had all different kinds Hollidge and reflector ones heat ones I had no idea which one to get. Could you tell me which one? They even had a red one which I know not to get.

The aquarium hood houses a florescent fixture. "Regular" florescent bulbs use a regular florescent fixture and ballast. HO tube require an HO fixture and ballast. So as long as your aquarium hood contains the correct fixture for the bulb you want to use, you can use an aquarium hood for either.

It doesn't matter if the flood bulb is a regular incandescent or a "halogen" type. They will all work. I usually use the Sylvania 65 watt floods. These come in 6 and 12 packs, so I always have a spare when they burn out, which is usually at the most inconvenient day and time possible. Because I have spares on hand, I laugh in the face of Mr. Murphy and his law… HA!

I get my Arcadia HO UV tubes and fixtures here:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

Central Kentucky
The aquarium hood houses a florescent fixture. "Regular" florescent bulbs use a regular florescent fixture and ballast. HO tube require an HO fixture and ballast. So as long as your aquarium hood contains the correct fixture for the bulb you want to use, you can use an aquarium hood for either.

It doesn't matter if the flood bulb is a regular incandescent or a "halogen" type. They will all work. I usually use the Sylvania 65 watt floods. These come in 6 and 12 packs, so I always have a spare when they burn out, which is usually at the most inconvenient day and time possible. Because I have spares on hand, I laugh in the face of Mr. Murphy and his law… HA!

I get my Arcadia HO UV tubes and fixtures here:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com
LOL ok thanks They had all different kinds of regular tubes some for plants ones for day light didn't know which one to use of them either. Do I get the ones with the highest lumens?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California