Can I let my tortoise outside with all this vegetation?

TayefA08

Location (City and/or State)
UK, Wales,
So I have let my tortoise, Rammus out side a few time as it is now hot in the UK but there is alot of vegetation and i was wondering if it is safe for him to have a little nibble of whatever is out side here are some pictures of the vegetation available... also i have a almost concrete area with some grass and veg also growing through the gaps and he does also like to nibble on these aswell...

1497880499631.jpg 1497880507821.jpg 1497880514609.jpg 1497880521179.jpg 1497880528567.jpg 1497880536899.jpg 1497880600021.jpg 1497880606583.jpg 1497880627748.jpg 1497880643552.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
The vegetation looks ok unless it's been treated with chemicals, I would worry more about her walking off and you not being able to find her

daniellenc

Maryland
I plan on sectioning off a safe area with cement blocks and growing only vegetation I know is safe within. I myself have recently found out while I have many safe plants in my yard I also have many that are not. Captive bred animals don't always retain their wild "instincts" and will eat plants that are toxic from time to time. I have been reading non-stop on here anticipating bringing home a hatchling and have come across enough heartbreaking threads. I would personally look into baby proofing a closed off area to err on the side of caution.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That looks like a 'perfect' weedy lawn. :) Lots of lovely yummy clover and dandelions. A few daisies, but don't worry about those with so much clover about.

Have a secure enclosure. Don't trust your fences and hedges to keep your tortoise in

Make sure that there's deep shade in the enclosure so your tort can get out of the sun. It is much hotter at tort level in full sun than the air temperature talked about on the weather forecast.

Make sure your tort has access to water.

And if any chemicals have been used - for fertiliser or pest control - then don't use it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I have let my tortoise, Rammus out side a few time as it is now hot in the UK but there is alot of vegetation and i was wondering if it is safe for him to have a little nibble of whatever is out side here are some pictures of the vegetation available... also i have a almost concrete area with some grass and veg also growing through the gaps and he does also like to nibble on these aswell...

I see daisies and I don't think those are ok to eat. I'm also thinking I see some oxalis, but I could be wrong. You'll need to verify what everything is and don't assume your tortoise knows best.

In any case, your tortoise needs to be confined in an enclosure. You shouldn't just turn him loose outside if you don't want to lose him. No matter how careful and watchful you intend to be, they always manage to slip away somehow. Don't risk it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Daisies are not to be fed, however having had Joe on a similar lawn for decades I don't see them as an issue.

If you're fencing off a section for an enclosure then choose a section without :)