1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
  2. Hey Guest! Pre-order your 2015 Tortoise Calendar TODAY! Proceeds go to keeping TFO online and FREE for everyone! Thanks for your love and support!

can i feed kale greens to tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by cyyoung749, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyyoung749

cyyoung749 New Member

hey guys i recently bought a kale green from market. is this edible for tortoise?

i mainly feed cactus, hay, spring mix
    and some bak choy,carrots, asian pumpkin, dandelions, and others.
    hope this diet is good and hoping to add kale greens if its ok
  2. maggie3fan

maggie3fan Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Kale is good but bok choy is not, as it causes gout in tortoises. Cabbage is not good either for the same reason...
  3. DeanS

DeanS SULCATA OASIS

Media:
    Albums:
    In any event, try to rely on store-bought greens as little as possible. I haven't offered anything store bought in months and EVERYBODY's thriving!
  4. Turtulas-Len

Turtulas-Len Well-Known Member

This time of year I feed more store bought greens to my large sulcata, because yard pickings are pretty slim right now, This week they had collards, turnip greens, kale, and mustard greens on sale so I bought extra.I also got a free bag of large cactus fruit, free, the produce guy ordered them by mistake and no one will buy them around here.
  5. cyyoung749

cyyoung749 New Member

is kale also called collard greens? im confused and how often should i feed my toroise? like once a week?[hr]
    its freezing here and im unable grow for my own. i will buy some seeds on spring.
  6. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer

Its fine once in a while as part of a varied diet. The rest of your foods sound great. I feed bok choy every once in a while too. Like Dean said, I try to avoid the store bought stuff when I can, but sometimes it fills in the gaps nicely.
  7. pdrobber

pdrobber Active Member

Buy one bunch of them (they usually come rubber banded together) feed that daily until theres no more then go buy a different green. Kale and collard greens are two different things. Mustard greens,dandelion greens, escarole, endive, chicory, spring mix, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, and even spinach and romaine lettuce are good to use if you go by this method and don't stick to feeding just one thing.
  8. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member

Kale is amber (feed in moderation) on The Tortoise Table's A-Z Database of what's good for tortoises to eat.

It's a really useful website to look these things up!
  9. Pets101

Pets101 Member

I am not a fan of feeding Kale to my animals. I treat it similarly to spinach.
  10. cyyoung749

cyyoung749 New Member

is there harmful substances in it?[hr]
    thank you thats really helpful
  11. Jacqui

Jacqui Out living in my yard.... Staff Member

:D funny to read this, since kale is the green of the day here. :D
  12. ascott

ascott Well-Known Member

Kale is a great source of vitamin A,C,K and calcium, copper, potassium and manganese....as with any other offered food you should offer as part of a varied diet and not as a solo food...if this veg is fed daily in large amounts it is capable of blocking calcium absorption due to the oxalates as well as goitrogens which can affect iodine uptake.....however, as with most other vegs. If you do not offer variety any individual veg. Can become a bad thing.....so moderation and as part of a varied diet it is a great food to offer to supplement.
  13. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer

... thank you. :)
  14. Madkins007

Madkins007 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Kale and other 'brassicas' are not like spinach- different concerns.

Kale, cabbage, broccoli, bok choy, kohlrobi, and so on are 'brassicas', members of the cabbage family (and I know I am oversimplifying this). These plants have substances in them that block iodine intake in animals which can lead to goiters (I constantly confuse goiter and gout. Goiters are the iodine-based issue, gout is painful crystals accumulating in joints and is generally thought to be due to excess proteins, dehydration, and kidney issues).

Dr. Douglas Mader ("Reptile Medicine and Surgery") suggests using brassicas as part of a regular rotation (he recommends spinach as well). If you are concerned about the iodine issue you can add a small pinch of iodinized 'lite salt' (1/2 salt and salt substitute).

Spinach, by the way, is considered risky because of oxalates- an acid that binds with the calcium in a food and limits it's usefulness. Spinach has a moderate level of oxalates, collards and other greens have a little less, and things like lamb's quarters are high in it. Dr. Mader does not think they are a concern in a balanced, varied diet for a properly hydrated tortoise. In fact, Dr. Mader is not even against Iceberg lettuce- when used as part of a balanced, varied diet.