Can anyone help this female Snapper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashburn, VA
So i was reading other threads about craigslist and thought I would see if there are any torts or turtles in my area that need help. Unfortunately it didn't take long to see there are... :(

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/wan/3966791937.html

There is no way I could rescue a snapper safely but seeing this gave me "the sad" as this person appears to have gotten this girl on a whim and wasn't prepared for the realities of caring properly for her long term and I am really hoping someone can help or give me suggestions on how I can help. You can see by the pictures she is as wide as her tank and has next to no area for movement.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Now I've got the sads. Poor thing. She could at least get a big old plastic tote. I doubt that little tank has a filtration system anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Never ceases to amaze me that people don't think about changing the water before they take pictures, or cleaning up the substrate on a tortoise before picture taking. How hard could it be?

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Yvonne G said:
Never ceases to amaze me that people don't think about changing the water before they take pictures, or cleaning up the substrate on a tortoise before picture taking. How hard could it be?

I should be surprised, but I'm not :(. This is a person who didn't think when she was half this size "Gee, maybe I should look into a bigger tank and a filter now or make arrangements because she is only going to get bigger." This stuff drives me nuts because people don't think long term beyond themselves, they just think cool, and I'll deal with any issues later, not being honest with themselves. Add that to having the nerve to ask for money and it lets me know everything I need to about this person.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
That turtle deserves so much more.

It was also never half its current size in that individual's possession.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Ok, i've found a couple of area rescue groups that may be able to take her or at least provide better equipment free of charge so this poor girl isnt kept in these inhumane conditions. Now the tough part, contacting this person and giving them the information in a way that they will accept. If anyone can provide input on Craigslist policies and MD laws about sale (cl) and ownership (md, I looked into it but it appears kind of muddled) I would appreciate it. If i have to I'll buy her, depending on legality, and drive it straight to the rescue, but I'd rather this guy do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.