Can a tortoise sun burn?

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
My sulcata has been getting darker on his head. It's not red it's like a brown color. He used to be tan now he's gotten to a medium brown color on his head. The only thing that has changed was me changing his substrate a few weeks ago from half fine half course coco coir to all fine coco coir. Could it just be the dark brown coloring of the substrate thats causing this change? I try to wash his head, but he isn't a big fan so it's nearly impossible. He doesnt basking any more thank usual and his temps are normal. 100 basking area, 90 high side and 80 low side. Any idea's?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably the substrate.

However, when you put a bigger sulcata outside and dig an indentation then lay the hose in it, the tortoise will get in there and flip the mud up onto his back. You have to wonder why? I don't see bugs as a problem with them, so is it the sun?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ah Yvonne, remember when you would wiggle your toes in the mud when you were a kid....I know I did...and it felt grand....just because :D

ilovemytortoise11211

5 Year Member
Yep it's the substrate. Happens if you have him in coco coir. It'll come off when he starts to grow. Wouldn't worry about it